Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to Me Inland- Underwood Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Me Inland- Underwood Rebuild
    Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 7:07am

The carbine in my previous topic (Underwood Rebuild) resides near Dry Creek, LA now. Cabela's does mark up more than 20%.  I was able to negotiate but spent the better part of an hour in the back room with two employees establishing rapport. The two fellas working the Gun Library were both vets and so we all three started jabbering about old stories as (they let me) strip the carbine and go over it with notes in hand. 
The park finish does have some oxidation issues. I imagine I can slow it down with a soak in ATF fluid or something.  I'll research how best to care for the damaged parkerization.  Although the white balance is off in some photos, there is a green hue to TH as discussed in the previous topic.
I'll fill out a data sheet  as I'm cleaning and putting back together but evidently I need to purchase a bolt disassembly tool first.  Also will need a few magazines, oiler, and sling.  So, I guess I'll start looking for those items.

ME/ TE is less than 1. The .300 pin passes all the way through but the .301 won't start on either end. Nice discovery for an original barrel...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YITvdnIdB3eMRFii1
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 8:57am
It's a real bonus to inspect a carbine inside and out before buying it. Kudos for asking.

Looks like a nice mixmaster. Really like the Union Switch & Signal slide, trigger and trigger housing. Are there any marks on the bottom of the UW trigger housing?

Think UW made their own barrels, but I'll leave the official answer to the experts. For a mixmaster/shooter, a low ME is another bonus.

Congrats!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 2:52pm
Looks like the barrel is original to the receiver based on the date and SN.

Also, I see a little step in the stock where the high wood TYpe 2 was cut down to a low wood, probably during the rebuild.

A fair mix of contractors represented here, Inland (barrel, receiver, bolt, hammer, recoil plate, rear sight), Underwood (Stock, trigger housing), QHMC (slide), Saginaw Grand Rapids (butt plate), Rock-ola (hand guard), NPN (trigger), even Rock Island Arsenal (front sight).

Again, the patina is, I think, ideal for the vintage of this firearm. Don't clean it up too much. It's beautiful the way it is.
JackP
rwsem1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Are there any marks on the bottom of the UW trigger housing?

Sorry, just got to looking closely this weekend. Work consumes me during the week...

There is an ordnance bomb partially stamped. I just thought it was a ding but put my magnified visor on and see it pretty clearly.

rwsem1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Inland (barrel, receiver, bolt, hammer, recoil plate, rear sight),

Do you think the hammer is a buggered I-I or partially struck HI? Just trying to complete the data sheet correctly. Thanks
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 6:39pm
It looks like "HI" to me. The pictures are a little out of focus. Judging from the spacing of the letters it might have been "H.I." (periods added, serifs on "I").
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

It looks like "HI" to me.

Agree, looks like an HI to me too.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply