Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Veteran obtained Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Veteran obtained Inland
    Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 2:15pm
Hello all.  First informational post, so hope all goes well.

I have known about this Carbine since 1986 when we were building a home for a contractor (Mike), who is the son of the veteran.  His father brought this Carbine home from the pacific theater.  Mike knew nothing about the rifle or who the manufacturer was.  He has built several homes for us since then and he knew I was interested in seeing the Carbine.  Mike called me this past fall and said his father had passed away this early summer at 92, and wanted to know if I was still interested in this Carbine.

It is Inland 291857.  When I first saw the rifle I assumed Mike's father had made a few changes with the original Carbine, being the rear sight and stock, but the more I looked at it, the more I believe the changes took place in the field.  All of the metal (except rear sight) is correct to serial number according to "War Baby", and wear patterns indicate they have been together since built.  The rear sight only has a cross cannon stamp on left side with no manufacturers marks and is staked to dovetail with proper two punch marks.  An alinement mark is scratched on the rear receiver to center the rear sight on the receiver.  The stock is a type II Inland with oval oiler cutout.  The stock shows considerable use. The front sight is marked IN and the barrel is not dated.  I have no information from the veteran himself weather the rifle had been damaged and repaired in the field.

If anyone can offer any insight to this Carbine, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thank you,
James
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 4:07pm
Enjoyed the pictures, Thank You.  This reminds me of other stocks shown on the forum. My Inland 
#968615 stock has an oblong hole in the forward left bottom corner of the slide well. I assume is for a water drain hole which I have not seen or mentioned on the forum. Maybe before my time. I have heard the stories of the .30 cal carbine failure to operate in Korean cold weather. Water trapped in this area then freeze would certainly stop the slide from operating.
Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 4:50pm
Oh, Lord! Lovely piece that has me drooling! A great bring-back carbine for sure. Congrats.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 6:43pm
The oval cut is certainly something that was seen in your serial number range.
The sight is interesting.

#edit to add# check barrel flat. Is it marked BI?

@ James K. Could it be a knot that fell out?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 8:20pm
I have an early Inland stock nearly identical to yours (i.e. no cartouche, high wood, skinny TH cross section, lighter walnut color). My stock has a single brass pin repair across the wrist, in front of the recoil plate escutcheon nut, so I believe it's been through a rebuild but there are no rebuild stamps. I've always thought it had been sanded, but maybe not. I'd like to believe your stock is original to the carbine. The adjustable sight is out of place but the patina makes me think it was switched out in the field shortly after being introduced. Beautiful carbine!       
JackP
quicksilvergoat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicksilvergoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2018 at 12:38am
Awesome carbine. I would love to see a complete data sheet on it.
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2018 at 7:58am
Thank you for the comments gentlemen.
I have a data sheet filled out, but will have to have my wife scan and post, as computer technical stuff is above my pay grade.

The barrel is not BI marked.

If anyone is attending the OGCA show this weekend, I would be happy to bring this Carbine along for a Saturday look-see.  My table is P-8.

Thanks again!
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2018 at 9:12pm
Front sight, see CCNL343-2 .....quote with gaps.........marking stamped between sight blade and right wing...... I has serifs but N does not. The first front sight like that I've seen. I saw this carbine yesterday and the pictures don't do it any justice. It is a beautiful looking carbine. Nice find Jangle!
      Ron
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2018 at 1:07pm
Undated barrels on Inland first block carbines are not unprecedented. See NL346, page 6.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2018 at 5:33pm

very nice....is there also a number 3 in the stock....just forward of the mag well?.....my 2 hole/spring tube Winchester is marked much the same as yours on the grip...(font even looks close)..I understand it maybe a "rack" number...
Thanks always trying to learn
Al
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2018 at 8:04pm
Ron, 

It was a pleasure speaking with you this weekend regarding our shared collecting interest.  Your experience in talking Carbines was most appreciated!

Below is the data sheet on 291857 Inland.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 6:36pm
Just pulled out a carbine with a SA and CC rear sight. It appears consistent with yours except the SA mark on opposite side appears absent on yours.

Try giving it a scrub with a toothbrush or take a flashlight and try different angles to see if anything appears
jangle View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 9:41am
Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked at right side of rear sight with magnification and bright light at an angle and there is no sign of SA marking, or any markings at all.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply