The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Carbine Owner, Original Finish, Value?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougM38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Carbine Owner, Original Finish, Value?
    Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 3:13pm
Hello, I inherited an M1 Carbine, Serial 6298123. I know little about these rifles other than a bit I've gleaned from the Web. I do know it's an Inland/GM, circa 8/1944 I believe. The barrel is marked Inland General Motors 10-44. No other markings such as import stamp, etc, that I can find (or know where to look), although there is a small P stamped on top of barrel.

This was found in the back of my uncle's closet, I'm not kidding. He never told me about it, and he passed away at 92 a couple of weeks ago so I wasn't able to ask him anything about the gun. He grew up in France and fought for the French Resistance in France and Italy during the War, but who knows when and how he acquired this rifle. IMO it's in beautiful condition, but I'm no expert.

So I'm hoping the experts here can help me. Does it appear to have the original finish on the wood and metal? There are several magazines that appear to have no wear, but I imagine the rifle was fired, how much I don't know. Any comments on the condition?

And if I can ask--any idea of value? I'm debating whether to sell--I don't shoot much anymore and this could sit in the back of my gun safe, but if someone could get some pleasure out of owning it I might consider.

Thanks, Doug

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 3:50pm
Doug,
That is a good looking carbine. I'll let the other members talk value with you since carbine prices are all over the map. I will say a carbine does not take up that much space in a safe, so I say keep it, that advice is coming from someone who has traded away or sold too many guns that I wish I had back.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
quicksilvergoat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicksilvergoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 4:15pm
It’s a nice Carbine. I believe the metal finish to be original but I would get another opinion as I am not an expert. The stock has been fancied up and is not how it would have been originally.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 4:53pm
Doug, a very nice carbine you have there. Yes, the finish is original and it's not in original configuration. Color me wrong, but I believe there's a possibility that the front sights has been off at some point, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong. As far as value goes, I'd say anywhere between 950 up to 1200 plus or minus some. The market is wild as someone else noted, plus you have factor in the condition of the gun. Enjoy the carbine if you don't sell it.
DougM38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougM38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 1:01pm
Thanks all for your feedback! A couple comments/questions:

- Wayne, agree, have also let stuff go that I wish I hadn't. So I'll think long and hard about this one.

- Quicksilver, do you think the stock has been refinished? The photos could be misleading as the wood is a bit lighter in color than the photos show...

- Why? - thx, how is it not in original configuration--is it missing something or has something added? 

Again appreciate the info, trying to understand more about this particular rifle.

-Doug 
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 1:42pm
Nice carbine. There are guys on the forum who can help answer all your questions but I've read that for a 6293xxx Inland the Type II KI barrel band, Type II HI rear sight, and round bolt may all be correct for initial issue. Nice Inland stock also. 
Trigger group looks ”updated” for later required flip safety and mag release. Suggest taking it out of the stock and posting some more pics especially of the trigger group. The members will be asking for those.  We love pics!

Oh, and if I haven't done so....Welcome to the forum!  

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 1:42pm
The stock has been sanded, modified, refinished.
look at the area above grip and compare to stock in the top banner. It is also missing the acceptance stamp from being sanded off.

The carbine has evidence of having a later barrel band with bayonet lug on it. It may be possible that the carbine originally left the factory with a T3 band.

Slide is out of place, what are the markings?

With most carbines have been through a rebuild. A great many people have "Corrected" them with info thought to be correct at the time.

Back in the day carbines were plentiful and cheap. Many customized theirs, such as your stock.

Looks to be a nice carbine.
Enjoy!

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 2:08pm
Hi Doug. Your carbine is indeed good looking but...here's what I see from looking at your pictures.

Image 1 Overall a very nice looking carbine but I can see that the stock has been modified to slim down the pistol grip and relieve the area of the stock where the heel of the thumb rests. This was not done by a USGI armory. This work was professionally done, in my opinion.

I also see a flip safety, introduced in mid 1945. You carbine would have originally had a push safety.

Image 2 I see a Type 4 mag catch which was introduced well after the probable manufacturing date of your carbine. It has the 30 round magazine tab on the left side. Possibly a 1950's arsenal upgrade.

Image 5 You carbine has an earlier Type 3 or 4 operating slide. It would have originally had a Type 5 for your serial number.

Image 7 It looks like the staking around the hole for the front sight has been upset leaving a cratered appearance around the hole suggesting that the pin was driven out the right side in order to remove the front sight, possibly during an arsenal rebuild.

Image 12 The tab for the Type 4 mag catch is clearly visible.

Image 13 This was clearly a USGI stock originally made for Inland by Overton. Notice the IO marking.

Image 14 The marking on the safety is for a post war replacement.

Image 23   Shows the shadow of a Type 3 barrel band with a bayonet lug which was replaced with a Type 2 for some reason. This is not something a USGI arsenal would do. Your serial number is right at the transition of the Type 2 to Type 3 changeover and the location of the "P" proof mark suggests that it may have originally had a Type 3 band.

In summary, I agree that your carbine metal retains its original finish and probably saw little use considering its condition. It's been through an arsenal rebuild (safety and mag catch change) and later "customizing" (stock mod and refinish and barrel band replacement). It is one of the nicer carbines I've seen in a while and is well worth $900-$1000, in my opinion.
JackP
DougM38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougM38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 10:31pm
All--great information, thanks very much and really appreciated! You guys really know your carbines! I wish I knew who modified the stock and replaced the band, oh well, that will remain a mystery. Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply