Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member, Old Collector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member, Old Collector
    Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 8:50pm
New member here from N.E. Florida. I have several carbines. Here are pictures of some of them. My favorites are an early non-arsenaled M1A1, a 4 digit Inland, and my 2 snooper sets !!
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:02pm
Also have a couple of hand stamped guns.
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:04pm
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:05pm
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:33pm
Hello Rikkn1, your rack photo is a thing of beauty. If only those carbines could talk. . .
Does your 4-digit have a 6-43 barrel date? Mine does, just wondering
Dave
Dave
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:42pm
Barrel date is 7/42. As far as I can tell, it is first week manufacture.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 10:00pm
Oops I meant 6-42 not 43. I love the early features, have never seen a 4-digit at any local gun shows up here in MD. Probably would draw a crowd.

Thanks for sharing,
Dave
Dave
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 10:24pm
Dave, what is your s/n ?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 11:35pm
Welcome to the club. In case you missed the newsworthy section there are a few articles on the scopes. At the end of articles there is a link to a survey that we are working on. If you have not taken it yet we would ask you take a few minutes to do so.

Earliest barrel date is 5-42.
Though production started earlier and your serial would have been stamped early on, the barrel is a better indicator of when assembled.

I believe 6-42 was first delivery. For those intetested there is an article on first carbines delivered to troops in newsworthy section.

Generally assembly would be said it was a month or two after barel date i would think early on it would be closer.

Early on we see that carbines were not assembled in number order. We have seen 4 digit guns with several barrel dates. This can be due to receiver needing some work or because they wound up at bottom of pile.

Either way any 4 digit is very cool!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 5:53am
Welcome to the forum and that was a heck of an introduction. Looks like you already have carbinitus so forget any warnings about that.  Great collection!
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 1:33pm
Welcome Rickkn1

For about the past year several of us have been doing a research project on the infrared scopes and equipment used with the .30 caliber carbines. I'm currently authoring the web page providing the background and history leading up to the development of the first sniperscope. Each sniperscope set will have it's own set of pages that can be accessed from the infrared page.

If you have a look at the sub topic below you'll find a number of posts related to the serial number ranges and markings we've found so far along with additional info on the sniperscopes and equipment.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/infrared-sniperscopes-and-equipment_forum86.html

We've posted several articles regarding the infrared scopes and equipment on the Newsworthy forum. Each article can be read online or downloaded in pdf format for offline viewing.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/newsworthy-items_forum4.html

We're also attempting to reconstruct the history by asking owners to share information about their IR scopes and equipment. We're not picky how the info gets to us even a series of photos will do. We have two surveys online and available as pdf downloads to fill out manually. We don't mind completing the surveys for folks if we have the pics to do so. Whatever works best for those who share.

T120/M1 Sniperscope/Snooperscope & M2 Sniperscopes

Sniperscope, Infrared, Set No. 1, 20,000 volts

This is an in depth project we think is long overdue. It's going to take some time as we're researching records at a half dozen different locations with some of them not being indexed.

One of our best resources are those who own them and don't mind sharing info. If we go it alone it will not have the breadth and depth we hope too.

Welcome aboard.

Jim
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 10:55am
Hi Jim
I will be glad to share info as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime, here are pictures of the plates on the scopes.
Rikkn1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 10:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply