Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6 o'clock carbine slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAC123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 o'clock carbine slide
    Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 7:24pm
I have a late carbine 6 o'clock slide.  There is no markings on the inside bottom.  The slide does not have the M2 cut on the side.  The only marking is a 1/4 inch number 60 on the outside bottom.  Any body have any ideas.  I believe only Inland and Winchester used these slides.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 10:38am
Hmm, can you post a picture?
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 2:00pm
SA made replacement slides, but they were marked on outside bottom with a number & H.S.A.
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 4:54pm
There are several post war made slides.
HSA is believed to be High Standard Arms.
There is also a SH
Springfield Armory has the part number and SA

There is a post somewhere on the topic and from memory the HSA slides had a second set of numbers which was a manufacturer code.
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 6:51pm
From what I've gathered the H.S.A. isn't High Standard. They wouldn't have access to the ordnance bomb that's on the SA slides. Thought to be the initial of an inspector. Also, don't think D-7161843-7 drawing would be applied by High Standard. Thoughts?
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 8:50pm
Would not have access to the ordnance bomb? can you explain that better?

CCNL 351 and 352 talks about these slides. It is from 2009
Top is High Standard. We know this via an article by Bill Ricca. He states the 28627 is the Federal Supply code for High Standard. If you look closely to the left of numbers you will see a ordnance bomb. So a known HS has been observed with the OB.

The HSA has been called both High Standard and Springfield Armory by collectors. Middle picture. They usually have a OB to the right. Though different than the OB at top

The bottom is an actual Springfield Armory slide. All parts made and observed by SA that were marked had the SA mark.

In 2011 on the CMP forums Bill Ricca talks about the HSA slide once again.
I used to think HSA marked was High Standard Arms, but contract documents have proven me wrong.

Nobody has been able to confirm the HSA marked slides. High Standard existed under two different names:
High Standard Manufacturing Company, Inc.
and
High Standard Manufacturing Corp.
This has been an identification problem for many years now and nobody has been able to come up with documentation showing the maker of slides marked HSA. I check my High Standard WW II contracts and there were no listings of carbine slides.

One of the authors has speculated that it was Springfield Armory with an H meaning something else. I don't remember what.
There was a contract from High Standard for the M2 Carbine slide circa 1980.

What Bill does not explain or discuss is that if a contract was below a certain dollar amount it was not necessarily reported. You would have to find that actual contract.

Barrels for the BAR have been seen with HSA over the last two digits of the year manufactured.

It is thought ( I can not confirm) that High Standard made the barrels.

So did HS have contracts under both names (due to a location change?) and marked them differently?

Did SA do more than one run of slides?

For those that have WB 2 and 3 you can look it up.  Its a rabbit hole considering this is far from what the OP was asking
His was not a M2 slide, had 60 on the bottom. I would think Standard Products but they did not make the late slide. So until we get pics...........

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2018 at 11:52am
And we have been down this rabbit hole before.
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/hsa-slide-type-5_topic3020.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply