Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MAGAZINES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhmfire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MAGAZINES
    Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 12:52am
Does anyone have any experience with buying mags on ebay .I see alot of magazines being sold as 10 round mags for m1's but look like 15 round mags .I have'ntseen any that are being sold as pinned at 10 rounds.I live in ny and can't be trusted to have any more than 10 rounds and dont want to break any laws.Also if anyone has any advice on aftermarket true "10" round mags that are any good as i purchased a pro mag brand and i'm not convinced its going to run right due to when i push the follower down unloaded it sticks where ever is stop and feels very gritty .If anyone has any advice other than moving to a state where law abiding citizens are not feared or controlled that would be great .Thanks   
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 5:57am
I would be leery of USGI mags on eBay being listed as 10 rounders. For example I got a 30 round SEY hardback once. However there are aftermarket bonafide 10 round and 5 round mags available.  I did a quick Googlin' on it and saw several pop-up.  Quick perusal looked like mixed reviews on the different ones so you might want to do a little research first.  I'm thinking there's a good chance some of the forum members will provide some suggestions soon.   
fhmfire1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhmfire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 6:51am
Thank you very much for the info theres so much misinformation on the web i dont want to get myself in trouble buying the wrong thing   
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 9:43am
The reason so many people list USGI 15 magazines as 10 is because anti-gun eBay won't allow you to sell hi-cap magazines (over ten rounds) on their site. I list them that way, but don't at all like doing so for the simple reason of honesty. The problem is that many other sites don't offer the financial return eBay does for USGI magazines, or so I have found.
fhmfire1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhmfire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 9:52am
Yeah I get that I was just wondering if maybe they were pinned. Thanks for the reply
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 11:30am
     I am not aware of any true ten round USGI mags even existing, let alone five round, most ten round you see will actually be fifteen round advertised as ten, or blocked fifteen round so it will only hold ten. As I understand it, blocked mags are OK in NY, also fifteen and thirty's are legal if you register them with the police department, I am told.
    I do have 'a real steel' ten round mag (short), but it is made by Universal, it is not a USGI but works as well, and if I sold it, it would not be very cheap.
     There are several sites on the Internet where you can buy USGI mags, just read their reviews, I'd stay away from ebay, you may or may not get lucky unless you know the seller, or have done business with them before.
     Second as you read the various posts on this site, it is unanimous that you should stay away from pro mags, they have problems and haven't fix them yet, that's poor quality control.
     By the way, if you do move out of state and want to get thirty round mags, USGI's are very rare if you can even find one, and they are expensive these mags are sought after by collectors, South Korean mags are the best for your thirty round needs if that need comes up.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 12:08pm
Here is a thread you may be interested in about mags.

www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/information-on-m1-carbine-magazines_topic3095_page1.html

This is another one, both on this site.

www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-magazines_topic2948.html
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
He Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote He Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2018 at 10:11am
I have read that post war some of the manufactures had left over mags and parts and some were re-made to 5 rounds for hunting in states with mag size limitations.  I have a 5 round mag very nicely cut down from a 15.  I have seen a number of others that appeared to be Bubba jobs, with solder all over them.  I do not believe the manufacturers made any for war time.

EBay is a decent source for mags, better for variety than some other auction sites, but as with any thing, you must pay attention, and know what you are looking at.  
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2018 at 11:59am
I found the same problem with a new batch of 15 round Pro Mags. I stuck a wood ruler in them and pushed it up and down several times until it went smoothly and wiped them out. Don't know what caused the drag but they are now smooth as silk and functioning perfectly.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

fhmfire1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhmfire1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2018 at 12:05pm
Thanks for the advice
 Post Reply Post Reply