Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parts ID history Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1parrothead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parts ID history Help
    Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 6:49pm

Hello to everyone,

I am new to owning a M1 Carbine and was needed some help. I am using the book “U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production as a reference. But still need some more help.

I have an M1 with a Rock-Ola Barrel and Rock-Ola receiver serial # starting 172**** (both are marked correctly). It has the following-

Stock- Type III with S-HB in sling well, so apparently made by Hillerich & Bradsby for Standard Products Co. The serial # range appears to be 2,090,00, so later then my rifle receiver. The crossed cannons Cartouche is in the correct spot and measures the correct size with calipers. The barrel band spring is parkerized. The recoil plate is a type III marked Standard Products and SW on right side.

Handguard appears to be incorrect as it is marked ‘OI’, is a type III, and is apparently in the 5,500,00 serial # range, way after my receiver.

Butt Plate- Marked S-S3, presumably Standard Products.

Reciever- Type II, Marked Rock-Ola, Rear sight is a type II and has stake marks and stamped on right side “I.R. Co. 7160060”.

Bolt- a Round bolt with right lug marked “W” (Winchester?) Firing pin is type III.

Trigger Housing- Type VI milled, but marked “SA”. So it makes that a Springfield Arms presumably?? Not sure, about this so please give input.

Slide- Type III with the number 7160091 and two other markings: a “Q” and also what looks like a circle punch mark “o”.

I have not taken the rest of the rifle apart to see markings on smaller items.

My questions are:

-What does all of this tell me about the rifles history? Probably just pieced together, considering trigger housing and handguard?

-What is the story with the trigger housing?

-What is the story with the Slide? Who made it and when?

Any and all info is appreciated, I am having a lot of fun with this gun!

Jeff

usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 7:02pm
What you have is a typical post war rebuild, with a mixture of parts from various manufactures. If you want to know more about yours, you will need one of several books. War Baby 1 & 3, Roger Larson's M1 Carbine, Craig Reich's Wartime Production or J C Harrison M1 Carbine 3. These are just a few that most collectors refer to. Also, you could invest in the CCNL back issues, which are excellent.

Good Luck!!   
Glenn
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 7:17pm
Welcome to the forum.  Watch out for having fun with this gun as it will turn into carbine-itis and you'll be craving more.  Thing is you won't be alone as most folks on here have a least a touch of it.  First thing about your carbine is that it sounds like a typical re-arsenal mix-master.  All parts are interchangeable and the armorers didn't worry about matching up the manufacturers.  Any import stamp?  I'm not sure about your trigger housing but there are some folks on here that can figure it out.  If you don't get an answer soon it might be good to post a pic of it to help. Also, the Riesch book is a good reference but it has a few corrections that were determined after it published.  You'll find that most people have scribble marks in their references to update the latest info on these fine rifles. I found that out here on the forum.

It's great!
a1parrothead View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1parrothead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 9:00pm
Thanks for the replies! No it does not have any import stamps. Very curious about the trigger housing and Slide markings.
Jeff
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 10:39pm
I am certain your TH housing is a Post war GI issue Springfield Armory (The Gov't owned Armory, not the Inc. private business) replacement cast Type 6 TH. The cast mold seams were mostly milled off.
Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2017 at 6:08am
Housing sounds like Springfield spare parts.  Springfield didn't make rifles but up to 18 components at one time, post-WWII.  For the housing look at the USCarbinecal30 references by clicking the carbine in the banner at the top of the page or here's a link:
Type V or VI? 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2017 at 10:26am
Are you saying that you have a SP stock with a Rockola or SP acceptance stamp?

Look inside your slide, You may find PI marking which was for Inland.
Springfield Armory was involved with the carbine program even before Winchester submitted its prototype. WB page 213
The parts made for spares however I believe to be post war, however I need to question why we see type 3 mag catches. Did they make them as spares during the war?

Springfield did experiment with cast parts for the carbine. The ones I have examined shows no evidence of them being cast. War Baby discussed the cast parts with no mention of the trigger housing being cast that I find.
If anyone has a SA TH with casting marks or other references please share them.
a1parrothead View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1parrothead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2017 at 11:12am
Thanks for all the replies.

I made a typo with the slide. It is a type V.

Yes, I believe an SP stock with acceptance mark.

Trigger Housing- Type VI milled, but marked “SA”.

Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply