The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front sight
    Posted: Dec 06 2017 at 2:29pm
Anyone know how one would raise the front sight to lower the point of impact, say 2 " at 25 yards? I believe there was a formula for grinding a sight down to raise the point of impact as was necessary after manufacture.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2017 at 3:45pm
If the rear is not already set at the lowest point (assuming it's adjustable), U could just lower it and see if it will pull POI down.

Your other choice would be to build-up the post with something like a JB Weld or spring for a new-sight. They can be removed without the tool.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2017 at 11:33pm
I think the problem is that the carbine was never sighted in for close range. The bullet trajectory is rising at that point.

I believe some factory ranges had a way to compensate when sighting in new carbines.

IP used numbered sights  with each step being .015 of an inch. longest blade was .795 measured from top of blade to center of bore.

I believe one of the manuals gives the formula to correct POI however it may be different at 25 yards.

Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2017 at 12:06am
Hi, I had the same problem and I replaced the front sight. I got a GI sight online but had to specify a long uncut sight. I got one from Fulton Armory and had to send the first one back.  I complained and the owner sent me a replacement. This was 10 years ago so a GI made be hard to find. Bill Ricca has them listed but I believe he's having problems with his web site; I would call, regards, Mike
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 6:40pm
I just ordered and received 2 each, "N" marked front sights from an Ebay vendor, "nenel3" in France. This was the 2nd time that I have ordered from him. My dealings with him have been overall good. Sometimes he doesn't answer questions but his parts have been original and as described even though the picture on the auction was of "R" marked sights.

Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 9:48pm
Not wanting to replace the sight,I fashioned a piece of metal in the shape of a U that fits snugly over the blade that will bring the muzzle down to hopefully the amount I need. I will be going to the range Monday and will post the results.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 7:47pm
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2466/Fiber_optic_sight.jpg

Came up with this. 1/8" ISD tube and 1/8" OSD fiber optic . Attatched with GB Weld. Havn't been to the range yet. Anxous to see resulte.

Edited by New2brass - Mar 29 2023 at 12:34pm
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

dennis View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 10:10am
Did the fiber optic tube stay on after firing?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2018 at 10:23am
Broke my elbow since then,haven’t been to the range ,will post results later
Charles
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2018 at 7:29pm
Our former Inland Employee Ron Dalhamer wanted to share these historic images from Inland on sighting the carbine

100 yard elevated range off 2nd floor of bldg 20

elevated range over Bish ave.  Foundry on right in background.

targets front view.

targets rear view showing bullet traps.

targeteers station along left back wall. The man in right foreground is grinding the carbine's front sight to targeteers specification to zero in.

different view of front sight grinding adjustment..............Ron
rwsem1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 5:54am
That's pretty cool!
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Came up with this. 1/8" ISD tube and 1/8" OSD fiber optic . Attatched with GB Weld. Havn't been to the range yet. Anxous to see resulte.

Please keep us posted if this mod worked for you.

Edited by New2brass - Mar 29 2023 at 12:35pm
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2018 at 1:10pm
Finely got back to the range this morning with my home made fiber optic front sight. Not only stayed on in spite of the recoil but withstood the high temperature from firing 75 rounds. I had to re zero of coarse and determine where the red dot should be on the bulls eye. By the time I got finished, I wound up with golf ball size groups at 25 yards. 

Charles

Edited by New2brass - Mar 29 2023 at 12:38pm
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2018 at 3:28pm
I built up my front sight with JB Weld. It has held fine for over 3 years. Sure, it looks tacky but I didn't have to "alter" the original sight or switch sights. A little black Sharpie and it almost looks okay.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/2031/DSC01170_2020-07-22_14-56-01.JPG

Edited by New2brass - Mar 29 2023 at 12:36pm
JackP
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2018 at 6:40pm
Looks good to me.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply