Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mag markings Miscellaneous ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mag markings Miscellaneous ???
    Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 8:52am
Could use some info. In Riesch book on mags . What is Miscellaneous  mags . Are they G.I. mags  or post war mags. ???. I have been playing with the carbine since 92  & never thought of asking this question.  Thanks for any info
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 11:39am
On this list are GI mags made during WWII. Also it shows Plainfield, Universal, Iver Johnson and NVS (Japan), those are commercial, post war makers.

http://www.eqth.net/mirror/carbinemags/#misc

http://www.eqth.net/mirror/carbinemags/
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 11:50am
To expand on Cali.
The book was written with what was believed to be true at publishing. To his credit he put unknown in miss column.

Some were war time contract direct from manufacturers to government.

Some post war or commercial.

Some markings were commercial copies of USGI marks
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 12:24pm
So if I got this right  most Miscellaneous mags in Riesch book  are a mix of G.I. , Replacement , & comMercial mags . I see here in Canada we see some 15rd mags in the wrap with the marking  U . That would be a replacement mag but not G.I.???.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 1:05pm
There are Korean mags flooding the market marked U and UU. The U is slightly bigger then the war time mags. In this GB listing you can see one picture (#8) with the U on these Korean mags. They leave a lot to be desired.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/709271866
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2017 at 10:53am
A sampling of U marked mags:

gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 6:00am
So the U stamp only on the mag in the pics  is that a G.I. MAG  ??? as I don't see it being used by Underwood or by any other contractor in the Larry Ruth  War baby book.  The reason I ask is a friend has a few in the wrap ( wax paper ) marking with a small  U with the 2 little lines on the top ( serif U ) ??.

I thought the G.I. wrap mags were in grease ??
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 6:34am
if you look at the list U marked mags are for general use by Union Hardware, not for any one carbine maker and not for Underwood. Union hardware did make mags for use by Underwood and are marked UU. Several different materials were used for packaging of magazines, a wax like paper, cellophane, heavy paper, etc. There have been a ton of GI magazines on the market the last 2 years after over 10,000 were discovered in Germany in storage, many NOS or close to it. If you want some Colin is still selling them here:   http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=219240
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 7:31am
cali201 Thanks much for the good info I learned a lot . Now I can tell my friend I now more then him LOLBeer. Thanks again.
Neil
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 7:35am
because of all the mags Colin has released for sale prices are way down. NOS mags can be had in the $20-$25 range, especially generic ones like U, IS and others so marked. Mags marked for specific makers do sell higher.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 8:09am
The two mags on the left are GI. The two on the right are not. As mentioned, by union hardware but are not ww2. The mags handpicked by Colin were covered in cosmoline and are in fantastic condition. Even though they aren't GI I really liked the ones marked with a sideways c.
 Post Reply Post Reply