Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood 4th Block Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood 4th Block Carbines
    Posted: Nov 12 2017 at 10:28am
Anyone have an idea, or know what is the latest number known to exist in the unfinished 4th block (6,099,689-6,199,688). I have in my collection #6,113,174.

Thanks
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2017 at 10:52am
the 6 million block was produced near/at  the end of production. I think the earliest barrel noted on a 6 mill was in the 12-43 range.
Remember barrel date is usually a month or more before assembly.
in that time frame the were still assembling coded receivers as well as the rest of the 4 million block. (4 million block was started after 1st block)

So if looking for among the last produced you have to look at barrel dates. Last produced may also be a T code!

as to the high number listed we look to CCNL 357-16, 17. The highest recorded by the club at the time of printing was 61544xx (as printed)

When Underwood production stopped due to the government cancelling contracts Underwood sent (sold) what receivers they had left to Winchester as per an agreement with the Carbine committee.
 Winchester lined out receivers as well as buffed marks off. *I think there were receivers which had not been serialized from Underwood that Winchester put their own serial numbers on.*

A Winchester has been observed in the 6.5 million range. CCNL 357 also has information on left over receivers used by Winchester

For reading on Underwood production sequence check out CCNL 127 and 128
 Post Reply Post Reply