The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dented spent shell casings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dented spent shell casings
    Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 1:39pm
After shooting the S'G', that I acquired a couple weeks ago, I noticed that all of the shell casings are dented about half way up. Any ideas what might be the cause. All of the spent shells were ejected forward and to the right of my firing line. There were no malfuncions, no feeding, extraction or ejection problems, just dented brass. 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 1:49pm
You may need a slo-mo video to see whats-hitting-what. Looks like they are tapping the top of the slide-hood? Short of your face, that's about the only thing that could be out there in the way. What type operating slide is on this weapon? Good news is it functions and if you re-load, the sizer will iron all that out. You will always be able to find your brass at the range.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

What type operating slide is on this weapon? 
Slide is a DA-Q marked E279A.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 3:19pm
Check ejector and or spring, or slide spring, only one of mine ejects forward.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 5:58pm
I have one commercial that ejects almost straight-up and to the front. I can alter it by changing the ejector plunger style, but I sort of like being able to easily find my brass.

I was curious to know if the slide had a flat-cam or angled-cam. The angled-cam was introduced to "improve ejection away from the chamber". I can't exactly wrap my pea-brain around how it was suppose to do that other than the brass striking it and being deflected at some desired angle?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 6:22pm
I don't really mind where the shells are landing, just wondering about the dents. I am going to replace the ejector spring and plunger and shoot it again tomorrow. I just realized that I shot this carbine a week or so ago and did not notice any dents in the brass and when I cleaned it that day, I checked the head space and it was locking home on my no-go, but not on the field gauge so I swapped out the bolt.  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 6:41am
It's likely that changing anything in the components that affect extraction/ejection would alter it a bit.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 3:27pm
Well, I changed the ejector plunger and spring as well as the op slide spring, and I still have the dents in the fired shell casings. I guess I will try a different op slide tomorrow. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 4:39pm
I promise this is not a SA question or remark. I shoot a lot of stuff thru semi-auto rifles and pistols and a lot of the brass that comes out of some of these are marked-up in some way. I don't worry about it unless the brass is getting ruined and not reusable. Are you concerned about some issue this is causing with the function of the carbine, or just curious as to why the brass is getting dented?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Are you concerned about some issue this is causing with the function of the carbine, or just curious as to why the brass is getting dented?
I was just curious, of the 11 carbines I own this was the only one denting the brass like that. I changed the op slide today to a type V (angled cam) and not only did it change the direction of the ejected shell casings and there are no more dents. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2017 at 7:27pm
Nothing smells better than success!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 7:33am
Something to remember.  Any theories on how the mechanics of what was denting the cases? 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Any theories on how the mechanics of what was denting the cases? 

No, I have no idea where the cases were getting dented but it had something to do with the early op slide and the direction of ejection. I'm still trying to figure out how the type V op slide could change the ejection so much. The carbine now ejects fired casings straight out the right side. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 12:07pm
I believe the dwell-time was altered as an improvement with that slide type. The change retarded the moment at which the bolt-lug was contacted by the slide delaying bolt-opening...ever-so-slightly. It also kept the round in the chamber ever-so-slightly longer to reduce flash as the bolt withdrew. Maybe in simpler terms, the slide is farther back in it's rearward motion in reference to the extractor than previous styles. Maybe all it took was a thousandth-or-so to clear. I've never closely observed, but there may also be some dimensional differences in the hood of the slide as well as the shape (angle) on the T5. Again....all it took was a fuzz of difference to make it miss.
 Post Reply Post Reply