Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

J&G Sales - 13 Carbines For Sale - High Prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J&G Sales - 13 Carbines For Sale - High Prices
    Posted: Sep 30 2017 at 5:24pm
In case anyone has not seen this, J&G currently has 13 different M1 Carbines for sale. The prices are pretty high, but they sold one of the original 14 that they posted. One M1A1 is included. Prices range from $1,169.95 to $3579.95. I took a couple of screen shots, which I have included below.

Despite the high prices, it's not often that this many Carbines are seen for sale together anymore. Hopefully that will change soon.

Here is the link:

J&G Sales M1 Carbines for Sale

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2017 at 6:48am
way over priced, only looked at the M1A1 and a Winchester. Winchester looks like a $750-$800 gun with a $1,100 markup!! Flip sight (probably repro) in dovetail shows adj stake marks underneath. http://www.jgsales.com/m1-carbine-semi-auto-rifle,-30-cal,-winchester,-w-stamped-barrel,-very-good,-c-r,-used.-p-94378.html
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2017 at 7:32pm
Wow, fun to look at but definitely over priced, and some of them are import marked to top it off.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2017 at 3:06pm
They still have all 13 of them...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 3:49pm
Looks like they sold one of the Inlands. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 6:05pm
Very confusing on the remaining Inland description and picture.

...and a nice "IO"M2 "pot bellied" stock with ordnance wheel stamp...

Can see in close up pic a boxed RIA EB and what is left of a Winch no box stamp.

Now that is a true mixmaster as part of the great 2017 re-park fest. All for $1,500. Yikes!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Very confusing on the remaining Inland description and picture.

...and a nice "IO"M2 "pot bellied" stock with ordnance wheel stamp...

Can see in close up pic a boxed RIA EB and what is left of a Winch no box stamp.

Yep, that is pretty confusing, did not even catch the wra/ghd the 1st time I looked at it. Maybe they got their pictures mixed up or something. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 8:56pm
I also missed it the first time.

The para price is pretty close to typical retail for arsenal paratroopers at local shows and in blue books. Looks like something smashed the rivets.

By arsneal repairs, I'm guessing they mean the stock has been brass pin repaired? Can't make it out in the pictures though.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2017 at 7:35am
Down to 11 now...

David
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2017 at 8:03pm
Now down to 9. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2017 at 10:09pm
They added another M1A1.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2017 at 11:53am
J&G has now sold just more than half of the Carbines they listed on their site since I first posted. There were 14 when they first featured the Carbines. One sold immediately, and I took a screenshot shortly afterwards that is included in the original post on 9/30/17. Then they added an M1A1, as noted by W5USMC, which also sold. So, they have sold 8 out of 15 Carbines, with 7 currently remaining. I have included a screenshot of their current offerings.

So, the J&G offerings, and the recent high prices at the Julia auction solidly support an upward spike in current prices. No doubt the stock market is a contributing factor. I don't see the J&G Carbines as being exceptional examples, but they have certainly achieved prices that I thought were about 15-20% high. Apparently, willing buyers exist at those prices. Is supply constrained? Have there been fewer Carbines available recently? Your thoughts?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2017 at 10:00pm
My thoughts are that there may be some kind of false sense of security or "comfort zone" when buying from J&G or even that auction site, especially if the buyer has the money to spend.  I think alot of buyers are leery of buying on online sites like gunbroker or even gunshows for that matter because of the potential of being misled with false information.  Another point would be that if you have a C&R on file at a place like J&G it make the buying really easy and very tempting if you have money to burn. Just my thoughts.  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 11:33pm
J&G added more carbines, 17 for sale now.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2017 at 6:18am
Making it hard to trust a seller and auctions might be a possible rip off, seems best to trust your local gun shop when/if he gets one in, have him look out for one for you. I find that gun shows seem to always have a few for sale.

My local gun shop recently got in a Winchester that didn't look too bad, of coarse I wasn't able to truly inspect it, BUT he was only asking $800.00 for it, cheep enough that if there some problems it would still be worth spending the money to fix. So the deals are out there if you look for them.

Note: I didn't buy it because I already have a Winchester that I bought at Cabela's, different story. It was gone by the next week.

Again, as always, BUYER BE-WHERE.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 6:27pm
J&G's current ad has a link to 6 Carbines for sale. I have included a screenshot below.

Here are the descriptions:

#1: M1 Carbine semi auto carbine in .30 Carbine. This Inland manufacture with a barrel date of 6-43 has a very good bore and mechanical condition, "Rock-ola" marked flat bolt, ".U." marked early op rod, and "BE-B" marked M1 stamped/braised trigger housing with mixed parts. Also has a flip safety, late style magazine release, adjustable stamped rear sight, type 3 band/bayonet lug, and a M2 stock with a 4 rivet handguard. There is a very good parkerized metal finish over some pitting near the front sight. Includes a "PM/C" marked 15rd magazine. This blue sky import has a serial number of 717XXX, is C&R eligible, and is in overall in very good condition, used.

#2: M1 Carbine semi auto rifle chambered in 30 Carbine caliber. National Postal Meter mfg with a "WP" faintly marked undated barrel with a very good somewhat dark shootable bore and very good mechanical condition, a ".U." marked flat bolt, "PI" marked early style op rod, "Inland" marked trigger housing with mixed parts, flip safety, late magazine release, adjustable stamped rear sight, and a type 3 band/bayonet lug. The parkerized metal finish is good condition and has nicks and dings. The stock has "IO" and faint "RIA EB" marks and shows service wear with an "IO" marked 4 rivet handguard. Includes "BW" marked 15rd magazine. Serial number is 1518XXX. Import marked. Overall in good to very good condition, C&R eligible, used.

#3: M1 Carbine semi auto 30 Carbine caliber. This is a Quality Hardware mfg with an Underwood 11-43 dated barrel marked with a flaming bomb. Has an "AI" marked flat bolt, "N 15" marked early style OP rod, unmarked detachable operating spring housing, "N 9" trigger housing with mixed parts, flip safety, late style magazine release, adjustable milled rear sight, type 3 band/bayonet lug, and very good parkerized metal. The "W" marked arsenal repaired stock with faint ordnance wheel and "WRA GHD" stamp is also marked with a crisp "RIA EB" refurb stamp and has a "SCB" marked handguard. This carbine includes a "SP" marked 15rd magazine and has a serial number of 4673XXX. Overall is in very good condition, C&R eligible, Used.

#4: M1 Carbine semi auto in .30 Carbine. This is a "Gunsmith Special" Rockola manufactured carbine with a Springfield "SA" marked 12-51 dated barrel with a very good bore. Overall has a very good mechanical condition except the gas block and gas piston ring are damaged/cracked. This carbine has a "SG" marked flat bolt, "PI" marked early style op rod, "W" marked trigger housing with mixed parts, flip safety, late style magazine release, adjustable milled rear sight, type 3 band/bayonet lug, and a thinning parkerized metal. Has an unmarked M1 stock with an "IO" marked 2 rivet handguard. Includes an "AI" marked 15rd magazine, green canvas sling and oiler. The carbine has a serial number of 1736XXX, C&R eligible, and overall in good to very good condition. GSS Gunsmith Special, needs repair, sold AS-IS, no returns.

#5:M1 Carbine semi auto rifle chambered in 30 Carbine caliber. Winchester with a very good bore and mechanical condition as well as a stock that shows service wear, this rifle is in overall very good condition. Includes one "BW" marked 15rd magazine. Serial number 5711XXX, C&R eligible, Used.

Features:

- "W" stamped and proofed barrel.
- "W" marked flat bolt.
- "P1 underlined" operating rod.
- Inland trigger housing with mixed parts.
- Serrated magazine release.
- "S" marked leaf rear sight.
- Type 3 barrel band.
- Low wood stock marked with a crossed canon cartouche as well as a "W" stamp in sling cut.
- Double stamped serial number at rear of receiver cover & in front of the rear sight.

#6: M1 Carbine semi auto rifle chambered in 30 Carbine caliber. Winchester with an excellent bore and mechanical condition, as well as a stock that shows service wear, this rifle is in overall very good condition. Includes one "BW" marked 15rd magazine, sling, and oiler. Serial number 1470xxx has multiple scratches around and over it, C&R eligible, Used.

Features:

- "W" marked and proofed Winchester Barrel.
- Winchester marked flat bolt, trigger housing, hammer, sear, magazine catch, and recoil plate.
- Unmarked early style operating rod.
- Checkered push safety.
- Serrated magazine release.
- "S" marked leaf type rear sight.
- Type 2 barrel band.
- Lightly cleaned "'W.R.A" & "G.H.D." stamped high wood stock has crossed cannon cartouche.
- "W" stamped handguard.
- No import marks.

I hope some folks on the board find this information helpful.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
quicksilvergoat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quicksilvergoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 7:46pm
I’m curious if anyone has bought a stripped receiver from them and what kind of condition it’s in.
 Post Reply Post Reply