Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Family's Rock-ola

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prov281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Family's Rock-ola
    Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 12:01pm
Here is our family Airloom, I do have a question, is this the ERA for her?

-1st block, Serial number, 1,662,520 - 1,762,519| November, 1942 - November, 1943

Our serial # is 1725925
Prov 3:27
prov281 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prov281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 12:02pm
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 4:16pm
I see K. ART which is for use by the Norwegian Military, in this case K. ART for the coastal artillery. Other Norwegian markings would be:

FLY: Air Force
KNM: Royal Norwegian Navy
HV: Home Guard
NBS: Norwegian Government Railway
K.ART: Coast Artillery
POLITI: Police
prov281 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prov281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 6:55pm
Thanks Cali...pretty exciting, this place is like going to the Library...My son asked how much do you think it's worth? NOT THAT WE WILL EVER GET RID OF IT, it's part of the family. We don't sell Family.... 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 9:19pm
Have seen those grind marks on the receiver bevel before. A quick search speculates they were done by the Israelis to remove their marks before export. Are there any numbers on the stock near the sling well?

Quite the history.
prov281 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prov281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2017 at 9:50pm
Thansk so much, No, No numbers, Just a "J" IN the well.
prov281 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prov281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 9:47pm
Hello Again: Hope you and your family are well. Question if  may? Should I look for a bayonet in the same period to keep with my family heirloom? Just curious what you thought? God Bless. Dave
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 10:35pm
Dave, I do not know how I missed your post.
Most K.art have their number obliterated.
Your I can almost make out the numbers.
Love it, one day maybe I will find one with numbers which lend provanance to where it served.

You Rockola was updated along the line. It did not have a bayonet lug originally.
So you could pick up a Korean era bayonet which would be period correct for a rebuild.
A WW2 would also be correct but they go for quite a bit more.

Just today I saw another post of yours. I believe your J (replacment) stock had the small crossed cannons. Can you look at the bottom of grip to see if there are any Mark's please. 🙂
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2018 at 8:12am
Dave,

Nice looking Rock-Ola!  It is nice to have such a great piece of history in your family.  Sounds like yours has a great story also!  Look forward to hearing more as the story "unfolds".

The guys on this forum are a living "library" of M1 Carbine knowledge.  I have learned a lot in my short time here and I am sure you will too. 

I also have a Rock-Ola in my small collection; my serial number is 1704xxx, so our production dates were fairly close together.  I acquired mine at a CMP Auction in May of this year.  My Rock also received the bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight during the rebuild program after the war.  Last month, these gentlemen also help me discover my Rock has a Springfield Armory "pot belly" stock that was probably added during the postwar rebuild.

I will give you my opinion about a bayonet.  As Dan has said, our Rock's were not originally made to have a bayonet.  The bayonet lug was not added till after WWII during the rebuild program.  Therefore, I do not own, nor plan to own, a bayonet for my Rock-Ola.  Just my $0.02.
Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply