Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

T-5 SA Stock Stamped FA 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-5 SA Stock Stamped FA 4
    Posted: Aug 16 2017 at 1:53pm
I picked up an early Underwood (rebarreled with an SA 2-52 barrel) in a T-5 SA stock that has this FA 4 in a box stamped just forward of the sling well. I've never seen any variation of a FAT stamp that looks like this. It's a nice SA pot belly -- wondering where it has been. Can anyone ID the FA 4 stamp? Thanks.
Bill
PS: Just noticed -- Is that an L inside the box to the left of the FA?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 2:20pm
Bill,
Agree that it does not look like an Italian FAT cartouche. I swear I have seen this marking before and I have been searching since I saw your post yesterday to figure out where, no luck yet though.  Hopefully someone else on here will have the answer.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 2:29pm
Thanks Gunner. I'm stumped. Thought it might be a foreign government arsenal but L FA or just FA don't bring up any hits. The fact that this is an SA stock seems to date it as post WWII. When the B/R was put in it is anyone's guess.
SF,
Bill
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2017 at 10:59pm
Been looking myself for a few days, and am only guessing.
We seen the FAT and FAG stocks.
Could this have been in storage to be used for a back-up, thus only marked FA for Fabbrica Armi.
Possible it could have been passed on to their military, security forces or police if/when needed.

Since we know it's a US Springfield made stock, The FA stamp shows ownership but no direct marking for the service unit.

The number 4 is another ?? Maybe the year it was inventoried.... Guessing here.. 195 (4), or a district code.

For sure......... 1st I have seen, but I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply