The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Search Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibm1jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Search Help
    Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 11:46am
I was trying to do some searches in the forums, but ran into some problems.

For one thing, Search does not accept a search word of less than 4 letters, like "IBM". This seems like a severe limitation since "IBM", "SG", "WRA", etc. are 3 letters or less. Is this due to a software restriction, or someone simply set a limit? If someone just arbitrarily limited the search criteria, I would request that it be removed. Even something like "I.B.M." would work, if Search counts that as 6 characters and everyone uses that term (with periods) in their post text / title. Or maybe just exempt capitalized letters from the 3-letter limit.

For another, Search seems to have an auto-lockout of 30 seconds between searches:
I was logged in.
The CMP Forums do the same thing and it is very annoying. If I don't get a hit with "hashmark", I might want to immediately try just "hash" and see if I get a broader search. But I have to wait 30 seconds and count down until I can submit the new search. I'm not sure what the 30 second timeout is for. Timeout is for kids with temper tantrums.

Also, there really is no Help button/link. Not that I could find, anyway. I looked all over. If I missed it somewhere, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, it would be helpful to have a Help link or icon, at least on the FAQ page, to allow new users to submit questions like this without having to post a new thread. Or, maybe, just use the link to automatically start a new thread in this forum for them.

Thanks for any clarification.
John H
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 12:44pm
John, I am sorry you are having issues.
The search function is built into the forum software. I believe the reason for the timeout is to help prevent hackers or malicious programs from shutting down or overloading the forum.
as you pointed out CMP has same issue, I am sure it is like that on many forums.

As to the number of characters, I am having no issues with IP, IBM, RMC. If you get a pop up stating that not enough letters please post the message as you did for the timeout. 

Help: There is a button on upper right tool bar "FAQ" which has the Frequently Asked Questions which may be what you are looking for. If not you can always do like you did and just post a help request.

Hope that helps.
Best, Dan
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 1:01pm
Forum software usually has a default setting to prevent searches of less than 4 characters. This is due to the churn it involves, especially when a larger database exists, performing the search through all the material held in the database. For instance, if you perform a search for "and," you are likely to return every post ever made in a forum, and it will consume system resources. If several people do this simultaneously, it can severely reduce forum speed and functionality.

The error that you cut and pasted is a feature known as "flood control." It limits a user from making too many searches in quick succession, which again, can severely affect the forum for other members. It is usually set to 15 or 30 seconds.

In the forums that my brother and I own, we have had many attacks over the past 18+ years, and I mean many. Both the flood prevention feature, and the search character limitation have helped in this regard. We are still sometimes attacked by hackers who use multiple IP addresses as bots focused on driving a denial of service scenario. Usually our ISP sees the activity, and blocks the source at the appropriate level so that the hackers eventually choose another target. However, we have a very proactive ISP that we pay a lot of money for their service.

I have run 3 character searches in this forum before, and they worked. Most forums have the 4 character limitation, and can usually be queried with the addition of an asterisk to the 3 characters you wish to search. i.e. "IBM*"

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, but I hope this helps.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
ibm1jh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibm1jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 2:03pm
Thanks guys!

I just tried "IBM" as a search again, and this time it worked. Not sure what I did wrong before, but I know I got a message saying it was only 3 characters. If it comes up again, I'll capture the msg.

Thanks!
John H
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 6:59pm
Most any online forum worth perusing has a mediocre to often horrible search function. Much like Google, the word sensitivity can be so hyper amplified that I usually don't even bother with using most if not all website particular search functions.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 7:06pm
Yes, most forum search functions SUCK. Far more powerful is Google, like this

http://bfy.tw/D4oK

Hope that helps.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2017 at 7:48pm
Google also has it. Submit enough queries and the user will be presented with a message about an inordinate number of searches. Will probably get a reCaptcha as well. It is standard practice to minimize DoS/DDoS attacks, discourage brute force attacks, sanitizing search parameters (XSS) and a myriad of other attack types. Well, at least it should be and this is done with a quality staff of coders, S/A's and testing tools.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2017 at 8:38am
Welcome to the modern age!!!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image