Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

“Buy the gun, not the story” - a finish dilemm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: “Buy the gun, not the story” - a finish dilemm
    Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 11:39am
Carbine in question is ROCK-OLA SN 4601196, but that doesn’t matter. It is the condition/configuration, and the story, that goes to the question(s) that I could use some help with in a minute.

1. Trig house and most of its parts = IP or S’G’. Hammer and extractor are Inland. 22 coil hammer spring. It is fairly obvious that this trig house was an early S’G’ build and the hammer and extractor were later replaced.

2. All other internals = Inland. No ROCK-OLA parts at all. Inland type ll stock, NOT A REBUILD.

3. No import stamps. Wear points = very minimal.

4. Adj rear sight, bayo lug.

The story:

It was previously claimed by this fellow’s uncle (an officer) to be the carbine he took to war, brought home, and kept. He is in his 80’s. However, the uncle’s current mental condition prevents him from now specifying which war; WWll or Korea.

And now the most odd feature (to me, anyway):

Strangely, the receiver and barrel have been heavily reparked. So heavy (and dull) that it has partially filled in the stampings. Reminds me of my Blue Sky. See pics. And, the repark appears to include the rear sight but not the front sight. The B/R shows minimal signs of handling after it was reparked.

The question is: Could there be an unusual explanation for the repark?  Perhaps (if the story is true) this was a post-WWll rebuild/repark, later sent to Korea, issued to the uncle, lightly used and brought home with him? If so, is it likely to have retained the IP/S’G’ trigger group after the rebuild? There is no indication that the uncle did a repark after he brought it back. If the uncle story is not valid, then I suppose it could have been a post-WWll rebuild, obtained and sold off by the DCM or CMP. The stock is not rebuilt stamped, so it appears the stock did not follow the gun in either of these scenarios.

I suppose no way to know for sure. I just thought it was worth pondering. Have a great week.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 12:38pm
I share your dilemma. I have an IP that seems to have been someone's project carbine as it has IP and S'G' parts that seem to be fairly correct.  However it has what looks like a heavy re-park and I have wondered at what time in it's life this may have happened and by who?  I am looking forward to seeing the replies you get.  

Thanks for posting!
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 2:16pm
I don't think the stampings get "filled in". Each time it's been refinished, all old finish, associated rust, and even some metal, is essentially sanded away down to bare metal prior to being treated. As edges become rounder, and stampings become shallower, definition is lost.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 4:14pm
Maybe the guy's uncle had that "park" job done thinking he was bringing the carbine back to life.  I know first hand that older Vets (WWII, Korean War) era were not always in collector mode, here is a good example, my father was a Fighter Pilot in the Army Air Corps, long before my existence he traded his issued 1911 for a reel to reel tape recorder, I still cringe just thinking about that.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 4:44pm
Wayne,
We'll never know what the uncle did or did not do due to his current mental condition. 
I say "OUCH'" with the 1911. I bought a top of the line massive reel-to-reel tape machine in the early 60s at the China Fleet store in Hong Kong for less than $200. And 2 years ago I sold a plain Jane Gov't issue Rem 1911 for $1600. Hated to do it, but had several others to back it up. 
Many thanks for your input.
Regards,
Reed
Semper Fi
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply