Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Irwin-Pederson or Saginaw S’G’?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irwin-Pederson or Saginaw S’G’?
    Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 6:03pm
Brought home a ROCK-OLA mixmaster yesterday, and I am going crazy trying to figure out the trigger housing. First one I have ever seen like it. I don’t have the newsletters, but I have researched the following:
   Riesch 5th edition
   Ruth War Baby
   Larson (I know, Larson can be somewhat dubious)

Ruth and Larson offer very little info regarding this Trigger Housing.

If my logic is wrong here, please feel free to tell me where I am astray.

According to Riesch, this Trigger Housing is a type lll, ie: 

1. it does not have the angle milled inside the receiver lug slot (eliminated with the type ll), and

2. it does not have the beveled corners at the rear of the receiver lug (eliminated with the type lll).

Riesch says that IP and early Saginaw S’G’ housings have the tooling hole. Saginaw S’G’ made a type ll (early TH), but since a Tll should have the beveled corners at the rear of the receiver lug, that indicates that mine is not an early Saginaw S’G’ since mine does not have the beveled corners.

Riesch says that shortly after the Saginaw S’G’ takeover of the IP plant, a tooling dimple appeared on each side of the TH rather than a drilled hole. Saginaw S’G’ then finished IPs partially completed housings and began manufacturing the Tlll housing themselves. Since it appears that Saginaw S’G’ didn’t produce any Tlll housings with a tooling hole, I am thinking that some of IP partially completed housings already had the tooling hole, might have been of the Tlll design, and not coded by IP yet. Hence, my Tlll housing with a hole, a product of IP.

I really cannot connect the dots of this one. My books are very scant on the subject and I am sure much more knowledge is out there. Any help would be appreciated. (Larson does say that a Tlll coded S'G' or IP)

By the way, installed in the trigger housing was a Tll safety coded lP-A, a trigger coded S’G’, and a Tl sear coded SW-S’G’. I’m thinking at one time, this was a built up IP or S’G’ housing that had the hammer and mag catch replaced. 

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 6:11pm
Typical S'G' TH. Nice it has inspector stamp (FB)

Nice find!

Larson is a 4 letter word.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 8:08am
Dan, I haven't found the inspector stamp (FB) you referred to. ????
Where located, please?
I see the ord bomb.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 8:35am
FB is Flaming Bomb, or ordnance bomb
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 9:43am
sorry 'bout that. Didn't connect the two. Thanks
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 10:27am
My 176xxxx S'G' also has a T3 housing with the hole, the FB (flaming bomb) is oriented differenty and larger

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 11:00am
Notice how Reed's hole has a bevel and Cali's is just a hole.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 11:18am
Thanks, Cali
Are my eyes deceiving me, or are vertical tabs at the receiver lug slot at the front on your housing a different dimension than mine? Yours appears wider than mine. Laterally, front to rear, measured precisely, mine measures .306" at the top. Am curious if yours measures the same.
Thanks.

colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 11:19am
Dan, that is a sure clincher for me. Thanks
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 11:46am
mine is .368
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 12:00pm
????? Why would yours be .062 larger? Wouldn't all Tlll S'G' trig housings be made to same dims?
Hmmmmmmm.....
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 12:47pm
PS. The barrel band is so tight I can hardly move it along the barrel. I suppose the heavy park added some thickness.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 7:49pm
I have 5 IP housing's , all have the rear bevel and a hole like cali's . I also have 1 S'G' housing [ only one I have ever seen ] with the rear bevel and a hole like cali's. I also have 3 or 4 S'G' with no rear bevel but with a hole like your's . Lastly I have other S'G' housings with no rear bevel and a dimple instead of a hole.

I'm of the opinion that the order I listed them in, is the order of the progression through time.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply