Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HSA Slide - type 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HSA Slide - type 5
    Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 11:26am
My books tell me that this is a postwar rebuild but doesn't offer anything else. 
Anyone know the mfg?
Was it built as a spare for Korea?
Was ord bomb stamp typical for this?
Thanks
Thanks
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 12:12pm
That slide a type 6 slide (part number 7161843) made for M2. I don't believe it's known who manufactured it, SA or somebody else.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 12:51pm
I have one exactly like it on an early SN gen-1 Universal, less the ordnance bomb. It is a T6 M2 and I never found any confirmation as to who made it either.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 1:10pm
CCNL 351 had an article on the known High Standard Slide marked with the manufacturer code number 28627 below the 7161843

CCNL 352 had a report on the HSA slide which questioned if it was a High Standard or Springfield Armory.

Springfield just used SA

So as far as I know this is still a mystery. What is interesting is the D-7161843-7
Is D the drawing size, what is the 7?

If anyone has a SA slide they would like to sell or trade I would like to add one to my collection.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 1:51pm
Upon close examination, the D, both 7s, and the two dashes appear to be a heavier stamps than the 7161843. Could that be indicative of something unusual? 
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 6:10pm
Found this while googling, on worthpoint.com, a couple of other sites and forums on the internet say the same thing?? I cannot confirm this to be true.

HSA D-7161843-7

Many parts for carbines were manufactured by subcontractors for the 11 prime contractors or as replacement parts. HSA is Hurlo Corp. for Springfield Armory

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 6:17pm
That's the best explanation I've heard. I'll go with that one!
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 6:24pm
Thanks, Wayne
Put in in the book.
Reed
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Found this while googling, on worthpoint.com, a couple of other sites and forums on the internet say the same thing?? I cannot confirm this to be true.

"Many parts for carbines were manufactured by subcontractors for the 11 prime contractors or as replacement parts. HSA is Hurlo Corp. for Springfield Armory"

W5USMC,

That makes sense. Thank you for your post (I clicked your "Thanks" button).

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 12:00am

Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

That's the best explanation I've heard. I'll go with that one!

Here we do not go with best explanations, we go with what we can prove. Either a contract or new item found in the wrap*.
Just because it is on the internet does not make it a fact.

Worthpoint is a webcrawler that searches auction sites. In the case of a quick search for Hurlo it shows ebay auctions where many times the motive of a seller is to maximize their profits.

Further one of the auctions point to Riverbank* as a seller of these.  This makes me more skeptical.

Hurlo may be a lead, But I would urge against repeating it as a fact. 

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 8:47am
Agree 100% with what Louis wrote and that is why I stated that I could not confirm the information to be true. I spent close to 5 hours trying to research Hurlo and the Hurlo Engineering Corporation in order to actually prove that they were tied to the manufacturing of this slide but came up empty. The research will continue.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 12:42pm

I spent close to 5 hours trying to research Hurlo and the Hurlo Engineering Corporation in order to actually prove that they were tied to the manufacturing of this slide but came up empty. The research will continue.

Maybe it's Herlo of barrel fame instead of Hurlo ???
jiggly View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiggly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 1:26pm
Could this possibly be the same company that made spare barrels for the BAR in the 50's? These were also marked HSA with month and year, could it be High Standard Arms?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Maybe it's Herlo of barrel fame instead of Hurlo ???

I do believe this is the case. Probably was meant to be Herlo not Hurlo. I just copied and pasted from that site.  I have actually been  looking at herlo of the "crappy barrel fame" as well.  All I have found so far is that Herlo made some M14 parts. 

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by jiggly jiggly wrote:

Could this possibly be the same company that made spare barrels for the BAR in the 50's? These were also marked HSA with month and year, could it be High Standard Arms?

I believe it was called  High Standard Manufacturing. So should it not be marked HSM?
there are I believe two versions of slides made by HS. One where it is identified by the assigned manufacture number and M2 (L479) type, and one where it is marked inside the slide where some thought HSA but no room for the A. I think this was a type 5 (L379)

I cannot locate the one I have right now. I do remember a CCNL mentioning it but cannot find it in the indexes. 

Hope someone can find the HSA of BAR barrels. Never seen one. Does it utilize a flaming bomb also?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

Here we do not go with best explanations, we go with what we can prove. Either a contract or new item found in the wrap*.
Just because it is on the internet does not make it a fact.

I agree in principle, but not in practice. Yes, it would be great if everything posted were "proven" to the degree you mention.

Here is a list of reasons why everything can't, and shouldn't necessarily be proven...

- Not everything is provable to the degree you desire (contract or NIW item)
- Sometimes careful, educated guesses should be made
- Unproven theories expressed in a forum can can be building blocks that lead to later "proven" discoveries - They help along the way during the process of discovery
- A successful collector forum will not exist if everything everything has to be proven
- This same standard is not applied consistently by some who are considered to be Carbine experts

I can go on, but there is a lot of value to the conversation, even if conclusions may not be based on absolute proof. Experience, industry knowledge, and historical perspective, along with photographic and other documentary evidence that does not reach the level of a contract, or a NIW item can be quite compelling and appropriate.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 11:34am
David, Thank you for paraphrasing what I had said.
I do agree that it would not have to be proven to the degree that I stated but lets look at it on the facts as presented here.
W5USMC stated he found the same marked slide on Worthpoint and a few other websites. He went on to correctly add " I cannot confirm this to be true" To which I put in bold to emphasize how he correctly presented it.
Immediately 2 members and yourself posted to a degree that some would affirm this to be correct. Anyone doing a future search may now take this to be fact. And this is how internet rumor starts. And this is why I stepped in to reel it back to reality
As a writer and "status quo challenger" I am a bit taken back that you would seemingly validate something with so little to back it.

The Worthpoint shows 3 auctions, 2 of which are obviously the same seller. I cannot figure out how to see who the sellers were. One auction as stated points to Riverbank. AKA Liakos. If anyone is not familiar with what I am implying should look into that!
I have not found another site referencing Hurlo. The 2 auctions can simply be parroting incorrect information

So with one speculation can we call this an educated guess?

Building blocks, see my last sentence from where you quoted as well as what others posted.

Successful collector forum exists by holding things to a higher standard. This is why we try to use our words carefully.

Some who are considered carbine experts is a ridiculous statement, by who's or what standard. Some I would give absolute credence to due to their level of research and willingness to point out fact from fiction. Other perceived carbine experts have made a living by correcting and selling carbines.
Others publishing books with bogus parts that they or an associate make.  
Here we are not "experts" rather students continuingly learning and researching.

One of the clubs long time mission is to stop the spread of misleading information, correct wrong information.
Remember books on the carbine topic are published with what was though to be correct at the time of printing. Just because it is in a book does not put it in stone.

Off the top of my head we would still be calling RSG stocks as made by Rockola and not by Robert Irwin.
R marked front sights would be Rockola and not Rudy Furnace
SW oilers are still held by some to be for Winchester with no evidence. None have been found on original Winchesters.

Now I wonder how many serious Carbine-o-holics reached out and read the quoted newsletters to find that Bill Ricca wrote the article in 351
For the benefit of those who do not know who Bill Ricca is,
Bill Is a long time collector and researcher of government contracts, Contributor to the Garand Collectors Association and long time Carbine Club Contributor and member.
Bill also engaged in buying government surplus. This is where many items were found new in wrap.
Bills tireless work and time at the National Archives has helped prove and disprove many things over the years.
Bill also spent time at the Springfield Armory for research.
Bill also acquired much of that which was liquidated when Springfield Armory closed.
With that Bill is one that I would trust with a well educated guess.
As far as I know Bill has not found anything that would suggest who made HSA slides.

So with that and the evidence presented so far I will keep HSA as unknown in my book.

Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 11:54am
whoever manufactured them, they do work quite well for their originally intended purpose.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

whoever manufactured them, they do work quite well for their originally intended purpose.

Mine does also. It won't win any beauty contest, as there are some blemishes in the forging facing out, but it blued extremely well. My vehicles have parts in them that I have no idea as to who made them, but they all work pretty good. This slide I have is on a regular shooter and it works pretty good as as well.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 8:55pm
Could the 7 be a revision number?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>