The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy with 1st M1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy with 1st M1
    Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 9:31am
Hello,
I acquired my first M1 after years of wanting one. What I got is an Inland that appears to have been imported back to the US from Israel. The stock has the serial number stamped on it in front of the sling and it has the CFCC etc. stamped on the right side of the thin rail under the rear sight. I bought it from a sporting goods store that I have done business with for decades. They offered to send it to a gunsmith to have it inspected before I bought it. It checked out. The carbine cycles 15 round magazines and shoots nice and straight. I'm happy I finally have an M1, even if it's an Israeli import. I'm ok with the fact that this gun has additional history.
I read a lot of information here on the forum. What I learned here and some other sources enabled me to give you a description of this gun, brief as it may be. Thanks for putting this info out there!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 10:04am
Welcome to the forum. This entire site is a great resource for learning all about carbines.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 10:22am
I'm attempting to share a photo from my iPad. Not having much success.
moneawon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneawon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 1:08pm
Hello and welcome. I have some step by step instructions for uploading pictures using an IPad. Will send them to you and post them for other users a.s.a.p.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 3:29pm
Welcome to the forum!  Lots of folks here to help out with any questions.  Being an Israeli import is just part of its distinguished history.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  I look forward to seeing pics of your Inland.
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by moneawon moneawon wrote:

Hello and welcome. I have some step by step instructions for uploading pictures using an IPad. Will send them to you and post them for other users a.s.a.p.

Thank you. I may need some assistance.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 6:11pm

Don't let the stamped-stock bother you. This is an Underwood and it's the best shooter in my collection. Keep the stock with the gun as part of it's history. I read where a guy had purchased a used stock with a serial number stamped on it, but who knows where the gun is now.
moneawon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moneawon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2017 at 7:58pm
Instructions for uploading and inserting photos using an iPad can be found here:

http://uscarbinecal30.com/forum/ipad-photo-upload-instructions_topic3021.html
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 11:45am

I had to use an app that looks like it makes it blurry. The original is clear. I'll figure something out.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 4:50pm
Looks good to me.  Just wondering, who's the mfg of your bayo?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 6:15pm
Looks good to me as well. Nice looking carbine.
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 7:56pm
The bayonet is Utica. The scabbard is PWH, so it's not WWII, at least that's my understanding. I plan to make a list of all of the stamps and markings on this carbine and will likely have a load of questions for the forum. Thanks so much for responding to me!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 9:25pm
Some may look down on an Israeli import but to me, as you mentioned, it has "extra" history. I feel the same way about CMP returns from Greece, Bavaria/Austria and the like. While it may be a shooter, it is a great way to learn without experiencing the "hard way" should your new acquisition become more of a habit. A great habit to have. Most mixmasters can be a great learning tool. Most won't spend much effort correcting it and/or adding fake parts. Therefore, disassembly provides an opportunity for inspection of a variety of parts. And the best part.....no reason not to shoot it. Enjoy!
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Some may look down on an Israeli import but to me, as you mentioned, it has "extra" history. I feel the same way about CMP returns from Greece, Bavaria/Austria and the like. While it may be a shooter, it is a great way to learn without experiencing the "hard way" should your new acquisition become more of a habit. A great habit to have. Most mixmasters can be a great learning tool. Most won't spend much effort correcting it and/or adding fake parts. Therefore, disassembly provides an opportunity for inspection of a variety of parts. And the best part.....no reason not to shoot it. Enjoy!

I just about learned the hard way. I had originally purchased a National Postal Meter from this store. I took it out to shoot it. It did not come with a magazine, so we were loading one at a time. I put a round in the chamber and let the bolt into battery and bang, it slam fired. Always practice safe gun handling! It was a big surprise. I put it away and brought back to the store who sent it to their gunsmith. I got a call the next day and the man said it had been rewelded and had some sort of two piece barrel, a cast slide, incorrect headspace and a few other problems, which rendered it unsafe to use. They gave me a refund. I was very disappointed, but thought I'd try this Inland out AFTER it was checked out by the gunsmith. Yup, just like I read, it's very important to have a WWII aged gun checked out before shooting it. I understand the full meaning of this. I hope I can find another example before prices get out of my range.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 11:01pm
Sorry to hear about your experience, but don't worry, as a wise man once told me, there will always be another one. Never know what is around the corner. You bring up a good point for new collectors. Always check for signs of monkey business. Some things can land one in trouble, others are just cosmetic but can add to a new buyer's frustration. The big ones are things that are dangerous like rewedling that can lead to serious injury. Even if something is acquired that won't be fired, it's always best to have it inspected by a qualified 'smith.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 7:54am

"I put a round in the chamber and let the bolt into battery and bang, it slam fired."

That's a sure-fire test to see if it will slam-fire. If one drops the bolt with no mag inserted with a round in the chamber...if it is ever going to slam-fire...it will under those conditions. The bolt naturally drags as it strips a fresh round out of the magazine, or on the follower of an empty magazine, which slows it a bit. If it is allowed to run-free and slam the round in the chamber, that's the perfect condition for a slam-fire. I had that happen with another weapon. It was habitual to stick a round in the chamber, release the bolt and then insert a full mag. Problem is, if the firing pin spring ever weakened, or got stuck in the bolt....it will fire and mine did. I know the carbine doesn't have a firing-pin spring and there are other features built-in to prevent this, but it's just not safe to run a bolt home under full inertia on a chambered round with no loaded magazine to slow it down. If it can fire...it will.
Bernomad View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

"I put a round in the chamber and let the bolt into battery and bang, it slam fired."

That's a sure-fire test to see if it will slam-fire. If one drops the bolt with no mag inserted with a round in the chamber...if it is ever going to slam-fire...it will under those conditions. The bolt naturally drags as it strips a fresh round out of the magazine, or on the follower of an empty magazine, which slows it a bit. If it is allowed to run-free and slam the round in the chamber, that's the perfect condition for a slam-fire. I had that happen with another weapon. It was habitual to stick a round in the chamber, release the bolt and then insert a full mag. Problem is, if the firing pin spring ever weakened, or got stuck in the bolt....it will fire and mine did. I know the carbine doesn't have a firing-pin spring and there are other features built-in to prevent this, but it's just not safe to run a bolt home under full inertia on a chambered round with no loaded magazine to slow it down. If it can fire...it will.

Well as it turned out, safely that is, I'm glad it happened. It caused me to have it checked out and revealed a terrible list of problems. Thanks for the valuable info about chambered rounds. That is something I'll never forget.
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Don't let the stamped-stock bother you. This is an Underwood and it's the best shooter in my collection. Keep the stock with the gun as part of it's history. I read where a guy had purchased a used stock with a serial number stamped on it, but who knows where the gun is now.

Welcome Bernomad! Enjoy and learn! This entire website is full of info!  

Floyd, I be a guy who bought an Israeli stock w/serial number 2878114, stamped in it. It is an Underwood Ser Num. The stock is an Inland Type 4 stock (WW2 profile, long channel, M2 cuts) stamped "HI" in the sling well. It has an Ogden Arsenal, "O.G.", arsenal rebuild stamp. There is no trace of an acceptance stamp if it ever had one, possible Inland replacement/spare parts stock. Overall it's a solid stock with history! It currently has a hand stamped Inland M1 residing in it! You can look at it on my thread on this forum.

You can see pics in the Carbines of the Collectors area, titled Ghostman's 1st Carbine, Inland 1-45

I've looked for that UEF serial number on the other M1 site that lists the demilled carbines, it wasn't listed, so it may be in someone's closet, safe or cabinet. Your right who knows!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 8:15am
Don't know what happened to the picture, but mine is some of the deepest dark walnut you will ever find on a stock...almost black. The forearm was cracked at the mag-well and I installed a walnut dowel thru the bridge and it's solid as a rock now. When I drilled the dowel-hole...the drill-spoil was the deepest shade of brown I've ever seen in walnut. Mine has a Q-RMC sling-well mark and a catrouche where one would find it, but no arsenal marks. I know it spent time in Israel, but there is no import mark on the receiver where it usually is and none anywhere else on the gun. I don't think the gun had been cleaned in recent history and I almost didn't buy it. I wiped-out the sand, cleaned it and it is the best and most accurate of my three shooters.
 Post Reply Post Reply