Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type II rear sight cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type II rear sight cleaning
    Posted: May 18 2017 at 8:28pm
I have a type II adjustable sight that I am having a hard time cleaning.  It has rust staining in all the hard to get places and its driving me crazy.  I tried soaking it Hoppes with no luck.  Is there anyway these come apart so I can scrub it better?  Funny thing is, its only noticeable under a bright light. In normal light you really cant see it.   
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 7:10am
You might try giving it a good scrubbing with Liquid Wrench or carburetor cleaner followed by W D 40 using a brass brush. When finished, blow it out with pressurized air, the type used to clean computers.Good luck.
P. S. Just remembered, C L R is a good rust remover, apply some with an eye dropper or something similar and finish up with W D 40

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 9:28am
I found this on one of my Googlin' excursions.  Kind of brought to mind the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."  Good luck:

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 9:52am
First and foremost, It is great that people are offering thoughts. Like anything Carbine, do not do anything before researching it thoroughly.

The type two (and three) rear sights are not designed to be taken apart! The windage is staked in place and you will probably loose the detent ball(s), have a tough time getting it back together. If you re-stake it the knob may not work its way off but it will be evident that it was taken apart. Type 3 rear sights are assembled and then the end is folded over. chances are great that trying to remove the peep will result in a broken tab!

Chemicals, always check the warnings. Many times items include phosphoric acid, which will instantly ruin bluing. It will also eat away at Parkerizing as will any acidic cleaner such as CLR.
May rust removers contain phosphoric acid.
rust penetrant is not necessarily a rust remover

WD40 is hygroscopic, meaning it will adsorb water particles from the air. the result is a rusted piece if left on the surface as the oil evaporates. Not a problem to use but clean well and uses a gun oil afterwards.

I am sure someone will point out it is Water Displacing-40. It is fish oil and not a petroleum product. They claim it will evaporate leaving a protection behind. Ask anyone who sprayed down a table saw or machine with WD-50 in an unheated location for the winter.

So first thoughts on the problem, is it actually rust? I ask this because some of the oils applied over time can leave a film of patina that may look like rust.

I agree with Charles on brass brush, as it is softer then finish so tends not to harm it. Compressed air like stated as well.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 10:30am
Thanks for the picture sling. I've been looking for a diagram for a while. I've never seen rust on a sight of any issue, but I've not seen them all either. I have found two second issues with the ramp ball-n-spring missing.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 11:21am
The picture Slingo shared originated from a military manual and has been reprinted in several books

TM9-1276 February 1953 page 93 has said picture.
page 95 Section 54 Repair or Rebuild :        a. Repair. As the adjustable rear sight is replaceable only as a assembly, no replacement spare parts are furnished for field repair.

I am sure someone with google foo can find that manual free to download.

richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 11:38am
Ok taking it apart may not sound like a good idea. The issue is I can't get under the parts where most of the issue is. Maybe it is patina but to me it looks more like rust. At first it never bothered me but when I mounted it on the receiver it made it pop out more, and drew your eyes right to it. I will buy a brass brush and see if I can get to it. Or maybe just go with another sight.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

The picture Slingo shared originated from a military manual and has been reprinted in several books

TM9-1276 February 1953 page 93 has said picture.
page 95 Section 54 Repair or Rebuild :        a. Repair. As the adjustable rear sight is replaceable only as a assembly, no replacement spare parts are furnished for field repair.

I am sure someone with google foo can find that manual free to download.

I have that manual...only problem it is dated January 1947 and "stamped" March 24th. 1947. The sight diagram is not in the earlier versions...obviously. I need to upgrade I guess.Big smile
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 4:32pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 5:54pm
Most excellent...thanks sling.
 Post Reply Post Reply