Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bavarian police marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bavarian police marking
    Posted: May 17 2017 at 5:58pm
If a carbine receiver is marked Bavarian Game Warden does that mean it's an import I'm guessing?
Are these desirable by collectors?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 6:47pm
The easiest way to say is that there are import Bavarian carbines, usually of the Century Arms and INTRAC variety. There are also non-import marked Bavarian carbines, most likely returned before the Gun Control Act of 1968 and there are Bavarian carbine brought back through the Army and turned over to the CMP for sales purposes.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 6:47pm
The simple answer is yes, they are imports.  As for desirable by collectors I believe you'll find there are a group who, like collecting the carbines from each mfg, collect from the different Austrian and Bavarian police agencies.  This could be almost never ending trying to get one from each agency and then get each mfg from each agency.  There goes the kid's inheritance. 

I got introduced the hard way...I bought a carbine and it has a plum colored trigger housing.  I had a panic attack but caught my breath and did some research.  The history on these is pretty neat.   Have you read the up on these?   http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/  

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 6:51pm
The Bavarian Game Warden I believe is one of the less common markings. That marking is not an import mark. It shows provenance of were it was after the war.

you can always find great info by clicking the top banner of the forum which takes you to the main pages. In this case use the menu to navigate to Occupation Carbines

Bavarians were brought in for the CMP but not marked, Is that then technically an import.....

Others were brought in by an Importer and as required were appropriately marked. there is a link to imports for them on left side menu. You can see where they could be marked.

The Bavarians are interesting collectables as many of them came home exactly how they went to war, therefor more desirable.

Depending on who had it the carbine could have last few of serial number marked in various locations.
Number on bottom of trigger housing is not one of these. I think it is a inventory number of for some form of accounting. Trigger housings are sometimes marked by the rear tang and often overlooked by their owners.

for some great carbine p*rn check out the armory, may carbines as left the factory!

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 9:43pm
I've gotten my ass chewed on more than one occasion for saying CMP returns were imports. It seems that some people want to split hairs over import marked carbines and being imported back into the US like the CMP returns were. I guess I understand their point, but that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 10:04pm
How many CMP carbines were in their original configuration? Think one of the CCNL's give possible figures but can't remember which but if any there weren't many.

Would rather have a CMP return not import marked over an import marked whatever. Probably simplistic, but it's either original or not. If not, the differences are measured in degrees. Remember having a lengthily discussion once with another member about the contiuum of carbines and a system of ranking. Tastes differ but it's probably six and one half dozen of another. A FAT stamp isn't an import mark but that doesn't make it more desirable although to some it might be.

richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:54am
Thanks for all the good information. I was looking at a barreled receiver that's being auctioned that was stamped with such. I didn't realize that the bigger issue would be that the correct stock would be a type I for it which would be about impossible to find.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 4:29pm
My reason for buying a Bavarian carbine...I read somewhere that the Germans took pretty good care of their weapons and didn't fire them all that often. This may or may not be true, but after the war we loaned carbines all over the globe...to a lot of hot humid climates where they may not have received the best care. Also, it's kind of nice to know that you have a WWII carbine that most likely served in the ETA.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

I've gotten my ass chewed on more than one occasion for saying CMP returns were imports. It seems that some people want to split hairs over import marked carbines and being imported back into the US like the CMP returns were. I guess I understand their point, but that doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it.

While I understand the distinction that is being made by the hair splitters, at it's core, there is no question many CMP Carbines were, and likely will continue to be imported. The tens of thousands of Korean M1 Carbines were going to be imported to the CMP, but were stopped by the State Department under the last administration. Importation is obviously inherent with bringing in any Carbine from overseas, regardless of whether they become import marked. So, I agree with you, and would endure the same abuse you mentioned, if pressed on it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Ronnie Fry View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Fry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 1:30pm
We often speculate---  If these guys could talk!!   Well, some of them can and do.  I bought the series of 6 of the German police organizations.  They are "mostly" original as manufactured.  However, many of them have been rebuilt, or at least repaired by the Germans.  These are all marked by their individual organizations.  Thus documenting their history as European Theater veterans, and then German civil agencies property.  Now they speak to us of their history.  I have IP 1778777 which is marked on the top left receiver leg "Bavarian Rural Police".  It has been rebuilt in Germany, what I think is an Erma bbl, NL-Q firing pin, and WI extractor.  Otherwise pretty much as mfg.
Import, well, yes, of course. Documented history--Hell Yes!!  And we know for sure how it got "repatriated"!!
My .02
r
 Post Reply Post Reply