The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from the Ozarks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from the Ozarks
    Posted: May 04 2017 at 9:08am
Really glad I found this site. I have been collecting USGI carbines since 2007, I was lucky enough to get one from every manufacturer, (minus the I.P.), as they were offered by the CMP between 07 and 09. The first one I got was an Inland, the last being my Saginaw S'G' which was the reason I ended up here. My Grand Rapids S'G' is serial #3649600 which puts it way out of the published Grand Rapids serial # range. I found the previous posts on this topic and was happy to see that I am not alone and that there are in fact many S'G's out there with higher serial #'s.  This is a very informative website and forum, that is much easier for me to navigate than thumbing through my copy of "War Baby". Thanks!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 10:05am
Welcome to the forum.  I wish I had caught the fever back in the 2007 time frame.  Good for you on your purchases!  

I made a quick check on the CCNLs and found in NL #35 where a large block of Saginaw serial numbers went from 3250020 to 3651519 with them split between the two plants.  This NL states it appears the break for the S'G' plant was around the 3545XXX.   None the less yours seems to fall at the end of the range.  Also one S'G' with a SN 3644XXX had "a wide tang and no ear" which are characteristics of manufactured at the Saginaw plant, not Grand Rapids.  

Good chance some folks on here will want to get a few more details of your S'G'.    

Again, welcome!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 10:15am
Thanks for the welcome. I consider myself a collector and am by no means an expert. And I am a really bad picture taker. I am going to attempt to refine my picture taking skills today in hopes of being able to post good pics in the future.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 10:25am
After a couple of tries I managed to get pics posted so anyone can do it.  Using Paint to resize to a 720 pixel is the key.  There's a couple "How to" topics for this forum and here's the link over to the discussion.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 11:20am
Welcome. You made the right choices when the CMP had Carbines available. I became active during the time they had them but didn't make the choice to buy. I wasn't interested in collecting at that time.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 1:01pm
Welcome aboard, another S'G' owner. See my post under "Forum Topics, Featured Carbines" Saginaw S'G' Charles"
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 5:45pm
You did well with the CMP Carbines. I also want to welcome you to the forum.

It's always good to extend the established serial number ranges through physical evidence. We would love to see some photos.

Welcome!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 7:52pm
Welcome and welcome to the S Prime (S'G') club!
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 8:56am
Welcome to the forum from another S'G' owner. Not sure we'll ever really understand the serial number discrepancy, but it's interesting to speculate.
 Post Reply Post Reply