Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sooty wood ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sooty wood ?
    Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 3:33pm
Just bought a carbine, under hand guard and in barrel channel is very dirty, greasy,  do not know what kind of ammo was fired in it being factory or reloads. What should one look at to determine a possible problem.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 4:43pm
It depends on how little or thorough it has been cleaned more-so than what it was fed to shoot. Once you do get it clean, just clean that area ever-so-often. The cause of the "problem" is the exhaust gasses escaping from the gas-block. It's just the way it is. You can get anal about what brand of ammo you use to keep the gun from getting dirty....and clean ammo helps, but that's just the tracks of exhaust residue that builds-up over use.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 5:44pm
If interested, I use "Murphy Oil Soap" to keep the inside of the stock clean. Following instructions, I use an old tooth brush and a bottle brush.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 10:49pm
Good news (I hope), after a much closer look I seen a very light staking of the gas port nut, only one stake, got out my cheater glass and could see it was not a deep stake, my tool removed it with little effort, will soak it tomorrow, clean the wood and go shoot it. It's a Saginaw 'G', just installed the S 'G' T-group which we just got from this forum, by the way, Ser# 1859271 with a Underwood barrel, dated 4-44, bolt has no maker name, no numbers only a punch mark (?), anything we should be aware of.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2017 at 7:42am
Don't overdo it installing the castle nut. Re-staking yourself can be tricky, and possibly even avoided. Use a little locktite. Once it's installed....leave it alone. Most folks here will advise that the nut should be installed and left-alone. Gas is going to get-by the piston and the gun will get dirty again. Run a dry patch thru the bore to remove any lubrication residue from the chamber. Lube the rails, the bolt-lugs and the slide contact areas. If it's never been shot (by you) and the head-space has never been checked, hand-cycle a few rounds thru it to make sure the bolt rotates and locks. Check closely after each round fired to make sure it locks-up until you're happy with it. Check the brass after you fire a few rounds for signs of over-pressure or weird markings, if all looks and acts well....shoot-on.

I've read before...it's hard to make an M1 Carbine not shoot and that's been the case with all of mine. Most of the problems can be traced to magazine related issues, marginal ammo, or springs. GOOD LUCK!
 Post Reply Post Reply