The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navy camera on a carbine stock (CCNL 240)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navy camera on a carbine stock (CCNL 240)
    Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 6:47am
I just picked up a copy of all the news letters and am now reading all of them. The other day I read CCNL 240 which has a picture of a navy (film) camera mounted on a carbine stock. A while ago I watched a documentary called "Shooting War, World War II Combat Cameramen". I don't remember specifically where they talk about it, but I remember in the documentary they talk about mounting cameras on gun stocks because it was easy to steady the camera using the gun stock.

The documentary can be watched on YouTube. I clicked through it quickly seeing if I could locate it. At 35:35 (note, there is graphic and maybe disturbing footage at that time stamp) they show a camera on a gunstock but I don't think it's the carbine stock but I'm pretty sure they show it somewhere in the film. It's over an hour and a half long.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SC9WQMMS70M
-Neil
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 12:39pm
Great link and pointer to that CCNL. Someone I had missed it. Easy to do as there is so much information to absorb. Thanks!

Makes sense that a carbine would be a good choice to mount a camera. Small and lightweight. Can't imagine doing that with a Garand.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 10:54pm
well that time mark took the fun out of carbines and is a grim reminder of the tragedies of war
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2017 at 9:44am
Sorry, probably should've put a disclaimer in there
-Neil
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 10:12pm
A well done documentary I hadn't seen before...thanks for posting.
 Post Reply Post Reply