Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Always do your homework

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Always do your homework
    Posted: Apr 15 2017 at 7:02pm
This is a thread I started on the CMP form, link is below so I do not have to repeat it and you can see other comments. This part will sell for over $200 and is, at best, worth $25.00. Seller has been informed by several but does not care, buyer will be in for a shock if he ever finds out.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=208744
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2017 at 10:28pm
The seller didn't say it was original. They said it was "ORGINAL." :-)

David
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 6:07am
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

The seller didn't say it was original. They said it was "ORGINAL." :-)

David

Really??????

Listed under this catagory:      
Collectibles>Militaria>WW II (1939-45)>Original Period Items>United States>Field Gear, Equipment

and item description, this is a copy and paste:

M1 CARBINE BAND. LATE TYPE. MARKED C FOR LATE WINCHESTER M1'S. THIS IS AN ORGINAL BAND NOT A REPRO.

So I would say seller is saying it is an original.   Band sold in this auction was a Cowles POST WAR band. Info can be found in CCNL #355
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 9:39am
cali201,

My previous comment was most certainly "tongue-in-cheek."

David

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 7:01pm
oops, ok my bad
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2017 at 7:59pm
Would expect everyone active on this site would know the difference in those. Ive been tenacious enough to find a few high C bands, one on ebay for $25 (or maybe $35). It went through full auction. No other bidders.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 7:24pm
Ppl will buy anything. Fake paratrooper stocks, obviously humped parts for big bucks, yet original stuff goes on the cheap. Fake carbines going for 2k yet totally legit ones going unnoticed. I guess it pays to know the difference.

$35 bucks for a C band is highway robbery. Can't believe nobody noticed.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2017 at 6:28am
I noticed!!

Yes, real parts slip through. On ebay in the last few months I picked up a genuine Inland flip sight for $35 and a T1 barrel band from the same seller for $20. He had listed over 500 gun parts but only about 20 carbine parts, did not know what he had and went by prices he saw on ebay (mostly repro stuff I guess), it was a buy in now (and all free ship) and I hit it just as they hit ebay. I ended up getting about 7 real parts at rock bottom prices from him. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time. Saw a sale last week of a lot of 4 barrel bands (one a commercial Universal) surrounded by a T3 and a T3 cutdown but in the mix of pics I spotted a T1 barrel band, no screw or swivel, all were $33 shipped. Sold the T3 and cut down t3 on ebay for $35.00 (tossed the Universal) but kept the real T1 which, after the sale of the others, was free. So, yes, ebay can be your friend if you know what to look for.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 7:35pm
Finding deals is the bees knees, especially when one is able to finance the acquisition by selling off the dregs. It's a helpless feeling though knowing people are paying big bucks for something fake and there is no way to let them know. Maybe it wouldn't help but $700 for a repop para stock is nuts. An expensive lesson if the buyer every finds out.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2017 at 1:10pm
Best deal found on a high C band was one missing the ring for the hand guard. A whole $3.
Will JB Weld be sufficient for a repair grafting a ring back on? The break is up under the welds.
Type I bands, I found on ebay last year for $38. A Saginaw and an unmarked.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 11:10am
I had a type 1 band on a 3 mil Inland. It was pretty rusty but only on the underside and I suspect that was the cause of the weld separation. Was told it needed to be re-welded but was afraid to do so as I didn't want to change it. Would think JB Weld would work but not sure if it would hold up to shooting. Think the surface prep would be to remove the rust if there was any.

Have no idea if any of the above would work as metal working isn't my strong suit.

Ended up selling the Inland with another legit band for the new owner to decide what to do with it.

Post Reply Post Reply