The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnorwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie
    Posted: Mar 26 2017 at 2:10pm
  Ty for the add to this group. I am retired Military and have been looking for a military rifle. I have been looking for a Garand but was open to most anything WWII. My step dad had a M1 carbine that was gifted to me. He bought the rifle in the early 60,s. I was very excited over this M1. Took it to a range and shot around 30 rounds through it. Shoots perfect and deadly accurate. I have spend alot of time reading, reading and reading about the history and Id of this rifle. I figured out what I have or think I have. I believe I have a Erma M1. E.F.M #19XX. At first I was disapointed because it wasn't a GI. I have read more on Erma and now I am excited about it. Mine has mostly GI parts. Hammer isn't, stock isn't but it has the Erma stock. It looks all but new. So now I will in time find a GI. This rifle has it's own history and few were produced. I have inspected it very well for damage or signs of fatigue. Again TY for the add. Any input is apreciated.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2017 at 3:50pm
Welcome to the forum!  There are plenty of folks on here who can help you confirm your current carbine and help provide some pointers when you go shopping for a USGI.  Also they all like pictures and there is a topic in one of the threads with the "How to's".

One more thing, everyone tends to agree that carbines are addictive.  Once again, welcome!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by jnorwood jnorwood wrote:

I have been looking for a Garand but was open to most anything WWII.
Although this is pretty much all M1Carbines, there is this forum here that you might want to ask about Garands.  I did a quick search and didn't get much.    

Just wondering, where have you been looking?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2017 at 7:38am
Welcome to the forum JNorwood!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2017 at 9:42am
Welcome to the club and good luck finding a desent M1 Carbine.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

jnorwood View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnorwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2017 at 11:31am
  I have been looking at gun shows. Pawn shops. Seems I am either  short on cash or the rifle is in poor poor condition. I really like the M1 carbine.Light and fun to shoot. For now I will keep reading and looking around. I have a bayonette by Camilus. Also a canvas case marked 1944. I have to 15 round ammo cases and 10 or so mags three of which are 30,s. All seems to be GI issue. I,m going to hunt up a bayonette scabbord and a sling. I will try to get some pics soon.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2017 at 5:30pm
You might look on the CMP Forums...I've had good luck there. Look under "Parts for Sale or Trade"..M1 Carbines.

Carbines come up for sale all the time there, and if you look long enough, you can find just about anything you're looking for. Prices are usually reasonable, and in my experience, they're good guys over there. Take some time...do some reading. and learn what you can here so you know what you're looking for.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2017 at 7:56pm
Like BEBill said the CMP Forums is a good place and I've had some good experiences as well (would work for a Garand too).  Just check the sellers Public Profile to see how many and what kind of post they've made.  Also under the main Marketplace there is a Buyer/Seller Feedback forum you can do a little checkup on.  

Another option that has worked for me, might be to post a WTB here and on the CMP forum with what you are looking for.  It takes the time pressure away if you're like me and not sure about what you're seeing.   The seller can tell you what they have and that would give you time to do some research and ask questions, and get some help from other folks if needed.  As I've been told...#1 thing make sure the seller will give you a reasonable (3-7 day) non-firing (typically) inspection/return period.  #2 they must be willing to send pics and answer whatever questions you have.  Also like above, do some background check on the seller just to make sure he's on the up and up.  There were a few scammers making their way through the CMP forum and you can read about them.  The moderators do a good job of trying to watch out and disable their accounts.   

One more thing...if you haven't already, you can look at the CMP rifle sales about a Garand from them.  http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/    There are eligibility requirements to order from them and they are currently sold out of most (they have a CMP special available) but they usually get restocked so you might want to check that out. They actually had a carbine sale about this time last year and there is a rumor for over a year now that they will be getting 1911's.  That will put the IHC order bombardment to shame.  Oh, did I mention all those special sales are luck of the draw? Many a folk spent $40 or more for guaranteed delivery first thing the first day.   By the way I finally heard they throw them all in a tub from the first day and then start drawing.

Good luck and keep us posted!
jnorwood View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnorwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2017 at 8:59pm
  Ty for all the input. I will make sure to get back here when I get ready to step out. I have alot of bad habits.Old cars. Kinda nervious about another. I carried a M-4 in Iraq.That rifle is light and packs a good punch. I was impressed with the M1 carbine. Light shot well and accuate. It is alittle light in the pants as far as hitting hard. Very impressed. Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply