Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IP Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IP Magazine
    Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 6:11pm
I've been looking at IP mages to compare with one I have an inversion IP-I, which I have yet to find. This IP on e-bay looks very close. Is the one there on e-bay real or fake??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222437570116?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 6:46pm
All I can go by is the general descriptions provided on Google searches and in particular   http://www.eqth.net/mirror/carbinemags/ . I'm going to say ebay looks real but I would get other opinions.  My IP-I is oriented up as shown on the aforementioned web page.

gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 8:01pm
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 8:13pm
Marty Black retracted an earlier post that was in error.
Marty Black
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 8:27pm
That's a tough one. Have never seen a UP marked magazine so no frame of reference but see nothing wrong with it.
Colin probably had one or more IP mags when he had his massive mag sale on CMP. Have only seen mags marked KI-P upside down, base marked K.

Could be wrong but IIRC, mags, slings and oilers were shipped separately from carbines.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 8:44pm
Hi all,

That UP mag on ebay looks good to me.

Mags, Slings, and Oilers were packed in paper bags and put into the wooden shipping crates with the carbines. So, they were included, but not attached to the guns. When the guns were unpacked, the armorers who inventoried them were most-likely the ones who put the slings and oilers on. But perhaps the soldier who was issued the carbine had to do this.

Regardless, if the armorers got more than one crate of carbines at a time, it is easy to see how a bag of Inland accessories could get mixed with a bag of Winchester accessories, and so forth. No one was looking at the manufacturer's names or the markings on parts. Inventories were done by serial number only.

A similar thing happened when carbines were taken out of storage. The carbines were field-stripped and the various (cosmoline'd) assemblies were dunked in pans of solvent. And the soldiers rub-a-dub-dubbed with brushes. Easy to see how - for example - an Inland trigger housing could end up on a Winchester barreled-receiver. As far as the GIs were concerned, all the parts were interchangeable....and they were!

Regards, MB
Marty Black
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 3:55pm
Marty No disrespect intended here and you've been at this longer, but I think this mag needs a little more looking at. Here's pis's of International Silver mags with the IP-I togeather in a lighting that was not in direct sun light like the first set. Through my eyes I'm having a problem seeing any thing wrong. As far as who I got it from was a table of misc. items at a gun show. Came in a mag pouch with an IA mag all for $15. Gene

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2R1IN82WmlTzPxnUZbE8J-6d8nstc853ujYZT7yVjIADZ-F0zRM6t42vRjWIGsw?key=d0JIZ3c0Vk9qc1V1dWF3T1NhRURhZmRIMG1QeFpR   
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 7:04pm
Yeah, you're right Gene....that earlier pic - with the bright light - faked me out. I would've sworn it was a fake. I stand corrected. It looks right in your subsequent photo. And you stole the thing - two mags plus the pouch for $15. That was cheaper than even 1970s prices! IP mags have always commanded a premium, even when mags sold for $5 each.

I stand corrected....Thanks, Marty B
Marty Black
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 9:26pm
I guess now the question is has anyone come across an IP Mag stamped this way?? I have around 55 different stamped mags but this is the only IP mag. I don't think there's another list other than http://www.eqth.net/mirror/carbinemags/#win    It could have been a mis-stamp too??
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 10:05pm
Gene, If you mean the upside down marking, I suppose it's "technically" a collector-variation, but I think - more likely - it is just an upside down marking. We'd have to study (at the Meriden, CT Historical Society) the procedural steps that International Silver used in fabricating the mag body. Most likely (in my mind), the logo was stamped when the body of the mag was still a flat sheet of steel...before it was "folded" into shape.

Suppose it was marked with the IP-I, and then the sheet of metal....or more likely a STACK of these sheets of metal, were fed into the folding machine upside down. Voila! - we've got a bunch of mags with the logo upside down! The inspectors wouldn't have cared, one way or the other.

55 mags - that's quite a collection! More than I ever had. Good collecting! Lemmee know when you've got them all! LOL.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 11:12pm
Thanks Marty Appreciate your follow-up here. Makes good common sense. Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply