Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland serial number placement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland serial number placement
    Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 10:05am

Is it just me or does this serial number positioning seem a little odd and small. I have a 399,xxx and a 510,xxx Inland. Both serial numbers start below the level of the "l" in "lNLAND". Maybe I haven't seen everything yet.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 10:49am
I don't about the possible different variants, but my 25XXX and 890XXX Inlands start the S/N just about under the N.  They also seem to have a little more spacing between the D's.  

Not intending to get off subject but I couldn't help but notice, are those brass pin/screw stock repairs on the right?  There was another discussion regarding fixing an M1A1 stock and if those are original USGI repairs it might be a good sharing point.

Regards 
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 1:05pm
More curious than that is the alignment of the numbers, looks hand stamped.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Chuck Russell View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 1:15pm
I looked at this carbine in the poorly lit gun shop. Didn't notice the two wood putty-filled holes on the right side of the stock until I enlarged the photo. The metal on the carbine looked original: first type band with "Ul" marking, Inland 7-43 barrel, flat bolt, early slide, milled housing with ?-l marked mag catch, push button safety, milled front sight with negligible ridge and no discernible "N" (my 510,xxx Inland with a 7-43 barrel date has a similar front sight). Hand guard is 2-rivet. The stock has the large Inland cartouche on the right side and "Ol" in the sling cut. There is no circled P proof on the flat of the pistol grip, but a block P on the curve of the grip. The high wood appears to have been neatly removed to the low wood style, noticeable because the edge of the hand guard and new, low wood modification don't line up very well.  Modifications likely done by a unit/depot armorer, but not on the original stock? Not sure when the holes were drilled in the stock. The putty looks like  the stuff that came in a can that my Dad used back in the 1950's. You used it once, closed up the can tight and 6 months later when you needed it again the putty had turned to stone. In fact, Sling00, I recently saw a similar, putty-filled hole at the left rear of an M1A1 stock at a gun show. I'll have to check the previous posts on this
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 1:22pm
Hi all,

That Inland receiver was actually manufactured and marked by Saginaw Steering Gear, not Inland. Inland subcontracted two blocks of serial numbered receivers to Saginaw in 1943. Front ring marking and serial number sizes/shapes vary from Inland's. Receiver construction characteristics also differ from Inland's in the later subcontracted receivers, including Saginaw's use of the wide-tang recoil plate lug.

The "Inland SG" serial numbers are:

700,000 - 708,000 (marked SI with the I appearing to be hand-stamped) on front left side of receiver below the wood).

708,000 - 940,000 (marked SG in that same spot. Two different sizes of the SG font.)

More variants to collect!

Chris Albright details these receivers in Carbine Club newsletter 346.

Enjoy, MB
Marty Black
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2017 at 2:36pm
My 890XXX has the smaller SG font as compared to the pic in NL 346.  Regarding the lettering and S/N size and placement it looks pretty close to Chuck Russel's above.  See for yourself... 

HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 7:18am
Almost looks like it started life as serial number 789 and was hand stamped later. (Unlikely but with all the oddities...)     Is it a SG marked receiver?  Could it have been one that didn't make muster and then managed to get reworked and accepted just at the right time?  (again, probably unlikely...but)
Fortune Favors the Foolish
HCSO249 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 7:21am
but on that note probably would have the guide spring tube....
Fortune Favors the Foolish
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 7:34pm
My 332,xxx M1A1 has the numbers starting just under the 'I' in Inland and extends to just past the 'V' in Div. and are larger than those shown in your pictures.
Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply