Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1,799.450 S'G'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1,799.450 S'G'
    Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 1:31pm
Picked up this barreled action yesterday and I have a few questions. Take a look at the slide show and feel free to weigh in. What drew me to this piece was the early serial # and the mix of S'G' and IP parts. { S'G' } Trigger, Trigger Housing with hole not dimple, Bolt, Slide, Dog leg fat boy hammer, { IP } SW-IP sear, IP-W mag catch, I think a IP-A push safety [ very worn ] . 22 coil hammer spring. It's a 8-43 Buffalo Arms barrel with a N front sight with a 3 on the left ear.

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/carwashchris1/slideshow/Early%20Saginaw

1st It has a UI type 1 band and wide UI swivel which should be wrong however I don't think the front sight has been off ? Nor do I think the barrel has been switched out. 2nd I'm pretty sure the rear flip is fake but did they ever mark the W-S'G' sights with a S- on the left hand side ? Weird

Thanks Chris
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 2:31pm
Chris , Your pictures are not showing up . In regards to your UI band and Swivel , I have an original 1.80 S'G' with the same UI set up . I also had another 1.80 with the same that I had sold a few years back . Yours is the only other I have seen with this set up . Considering they are all so close in serial number range we may be on to something .
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 2:39pm
Thanks Scott, Try this http://s989.photobucket.com/user/carwashchris1/slideshow/Early%20Saginaw

When you look at both sides of the front sight pin it looks undisturbed to me, if so how did a UI band/swivel get there ?   
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 4:41pm
FAT BOY hammer!!  You don't see many of them. Good catch Chris
    Ron
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 7:37pm
Nice S Prime Chris. Saw a dog leg on a late S Prime once, but it's hard to keep track of the SG/S'G'/IP concurrent production stuff.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 7:48pm
Thanks Ted I was surprised when I opened it up , it was offered for sale in the wrong stock and I made a offer with no wood and it worked out. I have a very nice stock just waiting. Interesting to hear what Scott had to say about the UI band.

Chris
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 8:14pm
Haven't seen many, but that hammer has the distinct, spot on characteristics I've seen in the past. Wonder if the person selling it knew what they had? If the UI band is correct, maybe the stock was as well? Dunno.

S Primes are a rare breed no matter the SN range. Love the dove tail rails for the flipper.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2017 at 2:30pm
I didn't see the extra notch commonly found on the back of IP and S'G' triggers. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2017 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

I didn't see the extra notch commonly found on the back of IP and S'G' triggers. 

Good eye, I didn't either and I almost walked away because of that, but then I saw the IPW mag catch and looked further. Funny thing is I bought a S'G' trigger from him earlier in the day for $25.00 and it has a very pronounced notch.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2017 at 3:48pm
the triggers have been observed with heavy to no notch. sometimes you can see a remnant of notch on one side but not other.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 12:46am
My 1798981 has a Buffalo Arms 6-43 barrel with the UI band.  But the swivel is UP.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 10:29am
 I have seen that same rear sight on a later S'G', but do not know if it was original to the gun it was on?? The rear sight on my 1798981 has the S and curved line, but no markings on the right side.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Scott C. Scott C. wrote:

My 1798981 has a Buffalo Arms 6-43 barrel with the UI band.  But the swivel is UP.

Well that's 3 now with the UI band, funny that the Buffalo arms barrel's never showed up on IP's, but never say never.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Scott C. Scott C. wrote:

I have seen that same rear sight on a later S'G', but do not know if it was original to the gun it was on?? The rear sight on my 1798981 has the S and curved line, but no markings on the right side.

Scott just wondering if your front sight was numbered ? Thanks Chris
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 5:50pm
I also have an S' in the 1867 serial range with a UI band, buffalo barrel, and numbered front sight.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 12:00am
Chris, I do not have any pictures on file of the side of the front sight, but I don't think that it has a number.  The top is marked N.  The gun is all original.  I will have to dig it out and look at the sight.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

I also have an S' in the 1867 serial range with a UI band, buffalo barrel, and numbered front sight.

Looks like your's make it 4 now. Thanks
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 7:45pm
My 1,831xxx has a type1 band marked 'UI' &'UP' and the flip sight is B-S'G' with an 'S' on left side. All parts are correct to date and serial number. And yes, the front sight has never been removed from this gun.
Glenn
 Post Reply Post Reply