Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FEATURED CARBINE: IBM 3937627

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Newsman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FEATURED CARBINE: IBM 3937627
    Posted: Mar 11 2017 at 10:42pm

Download PDF

March 2017-A

International Business Machine (I.B.M.) Serial Number 3937627

This IBM was a DCM gun originally purchased from the LetterKenny Army Depot in Chambersburg, Pa. The receipt is shown below and yes, it was sold for $20.

The oval cut stock is marked LW-B (Lumb Woodworking Co Inc. of Poughkeepsie, NY) in the sling well with the expected cartouche.

View of the barreled action including the trigger housing and slide. Note the 26 ½ coil hammer spring used in all I.B.M. carbines.

The type 1 rear sight is marked GE-Q and S on the other side (the leaf is unmarked). GE-Q sights were made by Gerrand Co. of Chicago Illinois for Quality Hardware. They have been reported on other IBM carbines but no documentation exist of a lateral transfer between Quality Hardware and IBM. The rear sight staking and sight pin staking is also shown.

Below is an overhead view of the rear sight. Note the different types of dovetail staking on the left and right side.

The receiver ring marked U.S CARBINE CAL. .30 MI as shown below. Note the single staking on the gas piston screw.

A close up of the wrist (marked with W) and stock nose. Numerous original appearing, late IBM carbines were reported with a single letter stamped on the wrist. See CCNL 345 for for more information. The reason for the letters is unknown. Could they be inspector marks? Perhaps they are inspector marks from the LetterKenny or other depots? More information is needed. Collectors, please report your IBM carbines to the club. The type 2 band has four weld scars. The P proof mark is also shown; note how close it is to the nose of the stock.

The recoil plate is marked PR-B (Parker Manufacturing Co. of Worcester Ma.) and is common on original carbines. The recoil plate screw is of the late type.

The handguard is also marked LW-B (Lumb Woodworking Co Inc. of Poughkeepsie, NY). The oiler is marked IS for International Silver.

Note the increased dwell on the AOB (Auto Ordnance of Bridgeport, Conn.) marked slide (see CCNL 363). It appears many late IBM carbines have slides with increased dwell, but no 7160091 number stamp. Also note the double stamps slide, in this case stamped EE. Could double stamped slides denote increased dwell?  More research is needed.

The trigger housing is marked BE-B on the right side and is of the braised type.

The trigger housing contains the following parts: Sear marked SW-B (Star Watch Case Co. of Ludington, Mich.), magazine catch marked PR-B (Parker Mfg. Co. - Parker Wire Goods Co. of Worcester, Mass.)safety marked EPB (Eaton Pond Co. of Springfield, Mass.),Trigger marked PD B (Paradise Mach. Co. of West New York, NJ) and the hammer is marked AMB (Art Metal Works of Newark, N.J.).

The round bolt is marked AOB (Auto Ordnance of Bridgepost, Conn.) upside down on the right lug and an H is stamped on the left.  Note the type 3 firing pin and extractor.

Top view and close up of trigger housing including single hammer strike mark and type 2 sear marked SW-B (Star Watch Case Co. of Ludington, Mich.).

IBM Barrel Proof Mark

A close up view of the IBM Barrel Proof mark. It appears to be sideways. If others have serial numbers in this range, please report the orientation of the P mark.

Multiple views of the I.B.M. SI B (Simpro Mfg. Co. of Newark N.J.) front sight and undated I.B.M. Corp barrel.  Undated barrels have been reported in the 3.79-3.96 range. Note the front sight key retention is held in place by the milled notch also called the "hacksaw" cut. The barrel crown is of the rounded type. Sometime during production, the way barrel crowns were finished changed. Early barrel have a flat crown, later ones rounded (CCNL 345).

Side views of the SI B front sight.  Note the bluing and indentations on either side of the pin.

The type 2 barrel band has a single slash \ mark. Type 2 barrel bands on IBM's have been reported as unmarked, /, \ and //.  Close up of the 4 weld scars type 2 barrel band.

The butt plate is also shown. Two type of butt plates have been observed, type A (CCNL 329-4) and type B (CCNL 94-5). This butt plate is the type A "step" pattern.

Data Sheet

Thanks to owner of this fine example of a late IBM carbine, Steve Manning.

Newsman2

Copyright: The Carbine Collector’s Club©

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 5:34pm
Fantastic example of a late IBM.  Great pictures of the parts especially those which are blued.  Did not realize the barrel crown shape changed as manufacturing progressed.  This article also pointed me to a few CCNL's about IBM's which I've missed.  Very informative.  Thanks!
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 3:55am
Very nice find. Way more original than my I.B.M. .30m1
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
Impala12 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2017 at 5:45pm
Nice carbine

I have an S'G'. Stock is not original, but the rest is.
pvc4440 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pvc4440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2017 at 4:56pm
Makes me want to work on my 10-43 IBM
ibm1jh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibm1jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2017 at 10:37am
REALLY cool example of a late IBM carbine. Outstanding pictures and notes. This is way better than the paper CCNLs. Thanks!
John H
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2017 at 1:48pm
Hopefully there are more fine examples of IBM's to come. Any maker would do but I am particularly fond of IBM's.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2017 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by ibm1jh ibm1jh wrote:

REALLY cool example of a late IBM carbine. Outstanding pictures and notes. This is way better than the paper CCNLs. Thanks!

Ah! so now we see why the forum can be better than paper! Plus you can download and print a copy. A win-win
kar6666 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kar6666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2017 at 6:00pm
A friend of mine had one very much like that one. It has probably been 15 or more years since I last saw it. But what really impressed me was the contrast in the color of the parts and I see this shows the same contrast. It was a really a nice looking carbine. He had all ten manufactures plus a few extras but the late I.B.M. was the best looking carbine he had to me. The thing that bugged me the most was his had a adjustable rear sight and he replaced it with a flip sight. It was his only carbine that didn't have a flip sight and he thought it would look better if they all had flip sights. As hard as I tried I couldn't talk him out of it.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2017 at 10:47pm
Haven't run into all that many IBM's with dated barrels. Not sure why but haven't seen many original IBM's with barrels after 10-43.
ibm1jh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibm1jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2017 at 8:45am
I think IBM only dated their barrels from July to December, 1943. The earliest dated barrel I have seen in 7-43, and the latest 12-43. I have seen several 9-43s and 10-43s. By January, 1944, they stopped dating them (unless someone has a later example). And then they stopped production altogether in Spring of 1944. I have always been partial to a dated barrel, though.
John H
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2017 at 8:05pm
Have seen them up to 10-43. So far, of the dated barrels, 10-43 seems to be the most "common". Another 10-43 just sold recently. Have yet to see an 11 or 12 of 43. Someday, hopefully. A 12-43 AO IBM, that would be a find.
Doug Bathurst View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Bathurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 8:22am
Great information and pics! Thanks for posting. I need to do the same with a couple of mine
Johnboy490 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy490 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2017 at 6:09pm
I just traded for a IBM serial number 377xxxx that has. Barrel date of 11-43 ibm barrel with the flaming bomb, I don’t know how. To post pics of it, thanks in advance.
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 4:00pm
the single punch mark on the gas piston outer frame, looks like it was done by an field armorer or other owner through out the years, replacing the piston and/or nut. Note the 3 rectangular marks on each flat of the nut, those were the original staking marks.
Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 8:33pm
My original IBM has an identical single punch mark on the gas piston.
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 9:31pm
I once read a random post that no original carbines had stake marks on the gas piston nut, but no pictures were offered. What's strange to me is those three areas are described here specifically for staking.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/barrels.html

Why put them there if the nut wasn't supposed to be staked? What tool was used? Was it chisel like instrument, some type of punch or both?

All of the original IBM's I've seen have the same type punch stake mark like Dave's and the OP's.

Note to collectors. If you have an original carbine inspected, sometimes part of that process is to check the nut to see if it is loose. If it is, politely ask to have it tightened and not staked again.
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2017 at 9:57pm
My 3791003 is also staked with one punch although I don't have a photo of it.
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2017 at 12:36am
Found a few more pics of IBM staking for reference...a 3.72 and 3.70

Carl Bine View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Bine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2020 at 4:40pm
Just put money down on a local 395XXXX late IBM in all original condition. Almost with all the same marked parts as the above. Incredible almost new shape (with correct patina) and very tight. Excited! Your photos (in addition to the books) helped. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>