The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reloading tips: primer problem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 4:25am
Still a few weeks busy with optimizing my load. After using the federal small rifle primers all rounds went bang, not a single misfire.
After a some experimenting I found that with 13.5grs v-N110 I'm shooting 10mm high, with 13.0grs v-N110 about 10mm low, grouping for both is the same. I made a new batch of rounds with 13.3grs v-N110. Yesterday I shot a series of 196/200 with the 13.0grs (4 9's because of having to do "kentucky windage" on elevation).........so the 13.3grs must put me right in the spot. 
I'm going to look for a fellow-reloader that has a speed measurement system because I'm curious where I'm at now, I'm guessing somewhere in the 1800fps ranges.

All ready now for the .30m1 clubmatch next week......there are a few new .30m1 shooters that are expert riflemen so it will be a nice and close match.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 5:48am
Good luck in your match and let us know how you do.
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2017 at 3:48pm
For my own feeling the match didn't go super-well. I scored 188/200 whereas I often shoot halfway in the 190's.......but I was lucky since all other shooters didn't do well either. 2nd place was the guy that's always on my tail, he scored 187/200.......So I won, haha!
I was still fiddling around with the sight during the match, so still not optimal. Last week I put the sight a tad left after the 20 rounds and this evening I shot pretty well with the 13.3grs N110/110grs FMJ reloads......they are very close to PRVI factory rounds now with regard to grouping and point of impact, both standing and kneeling.
So 13.3grs N110 it will be for a long time now, I think. At least for my carbine.

Good news for the new shooters in our club that are not allowed (yet) to shoot large caliber guns and have to start with .22lr. Turns out there was a .22lr ERMA M1 in the club safe with a broken firing pin. it will be fixed coming weeks by the armourer and then we will have more M1 carbine shooters at the club.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 7:30am
Congratulations on the win!  Whether by a cm (inch) or by a km (mile) you won.  (I thought to use the metric system on that saying.)   That's interesting about the ERMA 22.  I've only seen one brief discussion on them but they sound pretty good.   I'm curious, are the new members not allowed to shoot large caliber due to club rules for needing basic firearm safety and shooting?

Thanks and congratulations again!

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 7:43am
The rules have changed a lot for new shooters, when I started all you got was a few minutes of basic training with a .22lr pistol and the rest you had to figure out yourself. Nowadays each new shooter gets a formal basic training according to the Dutch KNSA standards from a certified KNSA instructor, which is good. They have to pass an unexpected shooting test and get their green dot on the badge whenever the instructor feels they mastered that kind of weapon. It starts with .22lr pistol and from there they can move up to .22lr rifle/large caliber pistol and later large caliber rifle, like the .30m1.

The main reason not many people start with the .30m1 is because new shooters without a license cannot own, nor buy ammo themselves, they can buy it from the club (1:1 cost price) but it cannot leave the club and if there is some ammo left they write their name on the box and put it in the club's safe. Also when you don't have a specific type of weapon registered to your license, you are not allowed to have ammo for it outside the shooting club, that is the rule in Holland.
So people that have no .30m1 on their licence can only shoot with one of the club (we have 3 Inlands) and buy their ammo there. But a box of prvi .30 carbine costs 25 euro's, whereas a box of .22lr costs 5 euro's.
I reload now myself now and that saves a lot of money, but it is nice for a new shooter to become familiar with the .30m1 by using the ERMA M1 in .22lr. When they get infected they will also move onto the .30m1, I'm sure.
We also started by selling just a half box (25 rounds) of .30 carbine rounds for 12,50 euro's so they don't have to buy a whole box of ammo. 
So hopefully we get new shooters on the .30m1, it is a very nice and marvellous carbine, the more I shoot it, the more I like it.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 9:53am
Much better off being safe than sorry.  Sounds like a well organized club and it's good non-licensed individuals have guns and ammo available through the club.   It's interesting they have to leave the ammo locked up at the club even though they don't have a gun for it.   So about how many members are in your club?

Don't take any time looking it up but do you know how the other European countries gun laws compare? Hope I'm not asking too many questions but it just amazes me how much gun laws differ from here in the US.  I know I'm repeating myself but we seem to forget just how fortunate we are.  

Thanks!      
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:15am
The licensing has been very strict and is even stricter in Holland for new shooters. Since a few years all Dutch clubs had to become a member of the KNSA, this was obligatory. The KNSA also certifies each club with stars which is check annually, so a new shooter can first check which club has most stars. This was done to improve the quality of the clubs.
Our club, SV Triborgh, has about 300 members with about 200 that have a permit. Before this is was the SV COM Tilburg, a club of ex-marine veterans, so many members have been marines and these shooting clubs was a way for them to keep in touch with each other. 
Since about 15 years it was also allowed for non-marines to enter the club that that is where the current one evolved from.
Many of our members are ex. marines/military and quite a few police officers (they -also- need to shoot a minimum of 18x per year so do it in our club). 
With regard to other EU countries, especially the Eastern European ones where you can just buy a gun in every shop, the regulations are very strict incl. the licenses for armourers.
Besides the limitation on magazine capacity for semi-auto's that is under implementation now, most other new things that come from the EU regulation where already in effect in Holland, so I think that the EU took that as an example for all other member states.
I think the rules are even more strict in the UK where you are not allowed to have a short firearm, there you see 1911's converted with extra long barrels and strange stuff, that is not the case in Holland.
Only big problem here in Holland is this maximum of max. 5 firearms. I'm applying for a collectors permit, but for that you need to become a member of the "Edouard de Beaumont" collectors club that has a waiting list of 2 years before you can enter as an apprentice. You then have to do a research project on older firearms (and guess what firearm I'm going to research) and do a presentation before a commission. But I'm willing to do all that work for it.
What is also a problem here, is finding long range shooting ranges, therefore I also applied at a Belgian club just accross the border that has access to a 600m military range, but also there 1.5 years waiting list.
What is strange, is that when you want to start reloading, you just call the policeoffice that handles your permit and they just send you that WECG permit by mail..........
In Belgium the rules are different, there is no limit of max. 5 firearms, it is unlimited, but for reloading you need the approval of all people living in a radius of 100m around your house....strange...
Anyway, the Dutch police officer that I know well and is always on my tail with the .30m1 matches moved to Belgium because of the regulations and built a special house there with large basement where he keeps his large weapon collection. There the rules are different, the local police-officer comes to check together with the major (yes!) when you apply for the weapon collectors permit if all is safe.
In Holland every few years a marked policecar with 2 policeofficers in uniform come by to check unexpected if you store the weapons safely.
So, to me, there is no EU, all rules and things are still different, only thing that the EU consists of is this Euro (money) and the uncontrolled borders, but that's it. I never understand why we need to expensive EU parliaments for that, 1 in Strassbourg and 1 in Brussels incl. this committee and a EU president.......
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 12:48pm
I have to say one thing...You know the rules!  Thank you so very much for taking the time for providing all these details.  It's things like this help me keep my perspective on life.  Good luck on getting through your waiting periods.  

So when you get signed up at the Belgian club, the 600m is going to be out of your carbine's range.  Looks like its time for an M1 Garand, an M1917, an M1903/1903A3, the list goes on...  Perhaps one of each with the collector's club?   Maybe you can spend the waiting period making out a wish list!  

Thanks again for the information!
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 2:00pm
You live in a marvellous weapon friendly country, please appreciate what you have over there, it's quite unique, same goes for the Germans with their highways with no speed limits.
I'm not sure what to expect with a collectors permit, this club is very very closed and you cannot find info of it anywhere besides a vague website where I found the contact email.
After the waiting period they will pay me a visit with a few guys and hear me out what my intentions are, then the project starts, so I'm curious where this new trip will take me.
I hear signals that you can collect as many as you want, need a very big gun safe but that you are not allowed to shoot them.......(?!).
In Belgium there is 1 day per year a so called "test day" at a range, there you are allowed to shoot collectors weapons, but I'm not sure if the Dutch club also has this.
600m is well out of range of my carbine, but I'm already looking for a few months for a fine Swiss K31, just a few weeks ago somebody snatched a K11 away just under my fingers, I was just 10mins too late with a bidding, but I'm continuing to search for it, they go for 300-400 euro's here, so they're quite cheap for a well built nice accurate rifle like that.
Garands are way out of my financial budget, they go for 2000-2500 euro's here......
But collecting more .30m1 carbines is also an option, they still go for 300-400 over here for nice ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123