Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM AO 3906262

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron_brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 12:58pm
I'll add my serial number to the discussion. Apologies on the adjustable sight.  Need to get that off and get a replacement.  If these were stamped with one die, it sure had a lot of slop between the  digits to allow for the misalignment seen below.  I would tend to believe the number was applied in more than one hit.  

Ron 

Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 1:11pm
It IS hard to believe that IBM - which made business machines, of course, before the war - was so sloppy in their serial numbering. Sloppy IBM numbers are the norm, not the exception. We might've expected sloppy numbers from, say - a hardware company -like Std Pro, or a company that made steering gears, but not from IBM. With those awful leading 3's on so many serial numbers, you would've thought that the Ordnance Inspectors would've gotten on their case.

We've seen a few sloppy numbers on the other manufacturers' carbines, reported to the Carbine Club over the years, but those are the exceptions. With IBM, we have come to expect sloppy numbers.

Interesting stuff....MB
Marty Black
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 2:07pm
I don't think the IBM made receivers have serial numbers which are too bad. It's mainly the later IBM/AO receivers that have the sloppy numbers.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 5:00pm
If you ever seen a roll stamp machine in action and consider the following facts:
that it used a rotating number head that received more linear then force then probably designed for.
This is due to the fact that where the serial number goes is not a perfect radius.
More downward force would be applied to insure that the whole number was deep enough.

We have seen serials where it was so deep that the base of the number stamp left a line at beginning and end of number.

AO had some issues going on with parts it was contracted to make. I would bet losses lead management to make cuts where it could.

So they most likely did what they could to keep existing tooling like the number stamp unit going.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 9:26pm

This S'G' makes the average IBM receiver look pretty good!

Enjoy, MB

Marty Black
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Motion to add to data sheet PDF.

Looks like it has been added. Thanks and thanks to Newscot for providing it.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2017 at 7:09pm
The highest serial number you mention as 3,907,689, is this AO receivers or I.B.M.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

The highest serial number you mention as 3,907,689, is this AO receivers or I.B.M.

According to CCNL 329 in 2005, the highest IBM SN in the club's database:

AO receiver: 3907689

IBM receiver: 3968546
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 5:54am
Is it possible, (this is my Monday quarter back mind) since receivers can't be stamped after they are hardened, is it possible that AO had a hardening issue and left it up to IBM to finish stamping and hardening, that's just an idea. I'm not familiar with all the processes so this is just a guess. Adjustments have to be made from time to to time to keep production rolling, this may just have been one of them.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
MalteseHawk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalteseHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 1:46am
My IBM (AO) #3840195 seems to have the smaller font and is very evenly spaced with all numbers in a straight line.   
PIfarmer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PIfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2018 at 10:40pm
SWANEEDMB, send it to my email I'll resize it with Microsoft Paint and send back. I'm getting so good at this, I'm starting to scare myself. mmmchall at yahoo  
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 4:57pm
Just recently ended up with a carbine that has an AO marked IBM receiver.

This is the first of this variation for me, so I was digging around the forum for anything interesting and/or relevant to them.

Finding this post, I noticed that the serial number on the one I have, is less than 2000 numbers from the OP's serial.  I seems to my eye there is similarity to the first digit (3) but the second number (9) certainly seems to be a different font.

As mentioned previously, the roughness to the serial stamping is amazingly poor, compared to most other carbines I have come across.

Kind regards -TT

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 6:18pm
Nice. A very sloppy stamp. The 3 looks like it is wearing a top hat.

Are you near Richmond BC?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 6:47pm
It seems that the first 3 numbers were stamped separate or another theory is that the first 3 were stationary. I surmise this because those digits are subject to more of a beating because they do not rotate frequently.
From a cost perspective as well as repair that having 3 fewer numbers rotating would be better.
If a rotating die breaks you have to take the whole unit apart vs. a stationary die to swap out.

Some roll marks from some manufacturer have been seen where the numbers were not close to being even.

It would seem the number 4s observed on the AOs posted here are all open top.
Looking at yours they are smaller than the last 2 letters. Looking closer it appears that there are open top fours under the closed top fours.

carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 12:12am
I see what you mean with the different style 4s.

In the first two AO marked receivers of that group picture, the 4's are closed top.

Upon close inspection of mine, I would say it is the same style of 4 as what is seen on the second receiver in, with the double 4 at the end.

And you are right, the closed 4 is stamped over what does look to be open top 4s.

Neither 4 on my receiver is stamped on the same line, nor in line with any of the other numbers.

Quite the mess really.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 7:22am
Here is another later IBM/AO receiver with sloppy/deep roll-die marking.

Can actually see the outline of the roll-die block in IBM and the "P" looks double stamped.

Just added to this older post for reference purposes.  
Chad
USN Retired
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 10:11am
You guys got me looking at the serial and markings on my IBM/AO lineout to NPM. serial number is 3842078. The serial numbers are all small font and are perfectly spaced and even with each other. The AO is small font but slightly tipped toward the 1 o'clock position and slightly to right of center. The N mark is located above the bevel and below the serial number and slightly to the left of center.
Sorry, but I'm having a problem getting photos right now.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2024 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by SSNPingjockey SSNPingjockey wrote:

Here is another later IBM/AO receiver with sloppy/deep roll-die marking.

Can actually see the outline of the roll-die block in IBM and the "P" looks double stamped.

Just added to this older post for reference purposes.  

Not a AO, but also thought I should add since it looks like a match to Chads Deep I.B.M. Stamp

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12