Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plugged Sling/Oiler Slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plugged Sling/Oiler Slot
    Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 11:30am
So, I have heard and read different things about this peculiar practice.  Some say that this was common with private carbine owners in Europe (Germany?) decades ago to comply with laws regarding "sporting rifles".  I have also heard that people here in the US did this because they saw the slot as an eye sore to an otherwise classy looking wooden stocked rifle.

Any thoughts from the club?

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 11:45am
I myself have never come across a post that this is a practice here to plug the oiler cut out of the stock. I do see M1 Sporter Stocks, but would never buy one as there NOT for a Original USGI M1 Carbine.
Frank

Blackford Oakes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 1:06pm
Thanks, Grunt.  I don't see it come up often, but I have seen it two or three times.

Here is the stock on an Underwood I picked up recently.  It has an Elmer Keith boxed O.G.E.K stamp on it that is barely visible.  I'm excited about that.

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 1:15pm
You can have that fixed...I know a guy that does this for a living. It's a Nice Stock...it looks like it's just plugged.

SF

Frank

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 2:04pm
I definitely plan on removing the plug.  You may notice in the first picture that there is a flathead screw in there.  That's where I'll start.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 2:09pm
There shouldn't be any problems...it's worth saving if can be done. The Slingwell and Slot might look a little crude, but should be a nice Shooter Stock.
Frank

GoldenGuy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 2:53pm
I suspect you will find a nice Q-RMC in slingwell

Like you said Germany citizens had to demilitarize

I had one and wood popped right out. I am guessing old glue or did not adhere to oil finish.
Mine had a big ugly rubber butt plate.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by GoldenGuy GoldenGuy wrote:

I suspect you will find a nice Q-RMC in slingwell

Like you said Germany citizens had to demilitarize

I had one and wood popped right out. I am guessing old glue or did not adhere to oil finish.
Mine had a big ugly rubber butt plate.

The interesting thing, GoldenGuy, is that there are no import marks on this carbine.  I suppose it's always possible that the gentleman's father who I got it from, at some point, switched the stock with one that came from a carbine that spent some time in Germany.

I will let you guys know how the unplugging goes.  I will be posting a new topic covering the details of this carbine soon.  It's actually very nice.  Certainly an armory rework, but all of the metal has an awesome green patina that is uniform - even the extractor. 

The best part is that it shoots phenomenally.  
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2016 at 10:27pm
So, I plucked the wood plugs from the stock. It took all of about 10 minutes.

GoldenGuy, how the heck did you know this stock would turn out to be a Rockola/Quaility Hardware? Sure enough, Q-RMC stamp beneath the wood plug. He drove the screw right through the "R", unfortunately.

GoldenGuy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldenGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 3:27pm
I had a feeling based on the ordnance wheel.

you can put a small drop of water in the hole and the wood fibers will swell closing the hole a little.  push the loose fibers in the holes. Let it dry

Then take what ever you use to finish a stock ( I will steer clear of that debate) and put a small drop on it to darken the fibers. use something like a toothpick
In a pinch for such a small area you can use a drop of vegetable oil. It will take a few days to suck in but will work.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 3:49pm
If your ever up in the Maryland area, being a retired wood worker, I could restore that stock for you.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackford Oakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 9:27pm
Thanks for the tips, GoldenGuy!

Thanks Charles!  I may look you up one day!
 Post Reply Post Reply