Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hand guard with metal insert SR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hand guard with metal insert SR
    Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 7:07pm
will post a pic soon....have a Winchester stamped along with Ord bomb...handguard....it is strange in the fact that it has a small metal piece inletted into the underside....towards the front where you see them slotted for a M3........but it doesn't go thru the wood...(cant see it from the top)....a stiffener perhaps?...
Thanks for any help/input
Al
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 7:07pm
forgot it is a 2 rivet
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2016 at 3:35pm
my bad....4 rivet
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2016 at 6:41pm
For the short time that I have been participating here on the forum and the lengthy amount of time that preceded that doing research, I have come to learn that about anything is possible and there is always an anomaly out there someplace. Some one could have added that support I suppose, or it may turn out that a participant has another answer or suggestion. I have seen examples of more than a couple with split stocks and hand guards. I have myself considered lining the interior of a hand guard with fiberglass reinforcement, especially if it's not collectable, rare or has a makers-mark. I think the best answer (in terms of a shooter) is to obtain an M2 pot belly and a late hand guard. They are much, much stronger.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2016 at 7:00pm
Rather than fiber glass, may I sugest a product made by Minwax. It's called " High Performance Wood Hardener"
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 6:25am
i understand the fiberglass and other ways to reinforce the handguard.....my thoughts were that this was done at the factory. ...as the job is very "clean"  and old.....was wondering if anyone else has seen one of  these before
Thanks Al
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 8:07am
The arsenal personnel sure knew what they were doing when it came to stock repairs. I'm sure most everybody here has seen some of the fixes on hand guards and stocks and it's just hard to believe some of the patches they applied. That's back when quality really meant something.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 2:10pm
Thanks for all the input..... but this handguard hasn't been repaired....I was thinking it  was made this way
Thanks Al
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 6:59pm
Pictures?
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2016 at 7:51pm
If it looks as though a nail was driven in and excess was ground off, it could be a threaded dowel to repair a crack. This has been common practice in furniture and gun stock repair. A small hole is drilled and then a slightly larger threaded dowel is scrude in by means of an electric drill. Without a picture, I am only guessing.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:35am
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:41am
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 6:42am
some pics sorry about the duplicate.....
Thanks again
Al
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 8:29am
That one pic. that looks like a mini horse shoe with two tiny holes at the ends of the metal, looks like a tiny staple. Could you take a really close up picture of it pleas. Also,  if it is a staple, it is holding two pieces together. look for a seam nearby. 
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 9:11am
Very interesting. Clearly looks like it was being cut for a M3 carbine.
Though there is a W on it the letter next to ord bomb is a M.

Pic of top please to see profile.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 9:29am
will post some more pics when I return home.....yes it is a M....for (modified?)....not sure....love the story 1 part can tell.....or make you think about
Al
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 2:25pm
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 2:26pm
Thanks for any input /help
Al
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:08pm
Sorry, I thought you wanted to discover what the metal was about, we seemed to have been side tracked.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2016 at 3:15pm
Charles, I am trying to learn about the metal insert......not sure what it is you saw....I don't see any staples in it.....which pic....the 2 half circles opposite the ord bomb are impressions
Thanks Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>