Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Inland Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Inland Carbine
    Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 12:05am
Inland 50367xx.  Bought it with a metal handguard.  Had to find a correct but ugly handguard.

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 8:07am
Very nice looking transitional Inland. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the staking on the milled rear sight? Thanks
Reichpapers View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Very nice looking transitional Inland. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the staking on the milled rear sight? Thanks

I don't see any stake marks. 

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 4:51pm
Very Nice!   Looks like the rear sight had been staked on another rifle prior, but nothing on this receiver

Retired Army, 22 years.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 5:02pm
I found this at Cabelas.  It had a ventilated hand guard and marked cheap.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 5:10pm
My thought is that the gun originally came with a flip sight. I am reasonably sure I can see some chisel marks over on the right hand side of the dovetail, plus the staking for the adjustable doesn't make sense as mentioned above. I think that doesn't matter at all though since it's such a nice carbine and I like cheap prices too!
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2016 at 8:06pm
Nice example of a AS type 2 band.
I do see a mark on the outboard left rear of dovetail.
As too it being for a flip or adjustable I do not know.

Nice candidate for a data sheet submission.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2016 at 12:34pm

May be original finish. The scrapes forward of the gas cylinder, do thy look like from the barrel band or are there marks from something clamped there?

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2016 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

May be original finish. The scrapes forward of the gas cylinder, do thy look like from the barrel band or are there marks from something clamped there?

The barrel band is a little  tight, it is from someone twisting while moving it. 
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

Nice example of a AS type 2 band.
I do see a mark on the outboard left rear of dovetail.
As too it being for a flip or adjustable I do not know.

Nice candidate for a data sheet submission.

How would I go about filling out a data sheet?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 7:37pm
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 8:43pm
Is there a manufacturers name on barrel.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 9:02pm
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by 1st M1 88 1st M1 88 wrote:

Is there a manufacturers name on barrel.

There is nothing on the barrel except a P mark.  I posed this question on the CMP Forums a while back and according to the resident Inland guru, the barrel looks original to the rifle.  The thread is here, and it got ugly due to one guy, still an interesting read:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=158105.  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 9:25pm

Without looking I remember the thread

BQ97 states it is an Inland barrel. You can take that to the bank
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 1:19pm
IMO it appears to be an original, as manufactured carbine. There is something odd about the rear sight though.

First off, I don't see any evidence of flip sight stake marks.

Second, the milled type, adjustable rear sight is the early style, with the staking notches only at the rear, left and right sides. Later milled adjustable sights and all stamped adjustable rear sights have the staking notches on the right side, front and back.

Third, the rear sight appears to have been moved to the right about 1/16 to 3/32 inch. This may have been done because it was not originally centered on the receiver and someone lined it up later. You can see where the rectangular staking does not line up in the last two photographs.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks.  Just wanted to know if my assumption about barrel was correct.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

IMO it appears to be an original, as manufactured carbine. There is something odd about the rear sight though.

First off, I don't see any evidence of flip sight stake marks.

Second, the milled type, adjustable rear sight is the early style, with the staking notches only at the rear, left and right sides. Later milled adjustable sights and all stamped adjustable rear sights have the staking notches on the right side, front and back.

Third, the rear sight appears to have been moved to the right about 1/16 to 3/32 inch. This may have been done because it was not originally centered on the receiver and someone lined it up later. You can see where the rectangular staking does not line up in the last two photographs.

When I took it to the range, I had to adjust the sight quite a bit to the left to hit center target.  That may have also been the sight base offset before it was centered?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reichpapers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 8:08pm
Do you think it is wise to remove the rear sight to get a better eye on any previous staking on the sight and base?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2017 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Reichpapers Reichpapers wrote:

Do you think it is wise to remove the rear sight to get a better eye on any previous staking on the sight and base?

Personally, I wouldn't take it off just to check for additional staking since there's the potential to damage the dovetail by doing so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>