Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Markings on Parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Markings on Parts
    Posted: Mar 01 2016 at 10:55am

March 2016

Download

UNUSUAL MARKINGS ON PARTS

By Dan Pinto

Newsletter 356 provided an in-depth article on thevarious (Type 3) bayonet lug bands for the carbine,detailing differences in construction and markings. Among them were those manufactured by American Radiator Standard Corporation for Inland Div. Both the earlier individually-stamped S and I and the combined SI stamp can be found, but this is the first report of both stamps on the same band.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In 1992, Newsletter 189-5 reported a factory lowwood stock with an unusual marking in the sling well: S&C U

The grain and color of the stock did not appear to be walnut. The cartouche on the right side of the stock was the late Underwood type: GHD over UEF with a crossed cannons stamp in a rectangular box.

Newsletter 202-7 reported a non-potbelly walnut M2 stock. The sling well markings were an ordnance bomb and the letters S. & C. One would suspect that these markings indicate manufacture by Sprague & Carlton, but those stocks made for IBM are marked differently: SC-B (no &).

Below is a recent find of the S. & C. U marking. This low wood stock has the same late Underwood cartouche on the right side. Pictured below left is an example similar to that mentioned in CCNL 202-7. Lower right is a typical SC-B  shown for comparison

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hard to say what that mark is on the barrel. Looks like a C, but is it? This was found on an Underwood barrel that is an "import" carbine that bore the K. art marking of the Norwegian Coast Artillery.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The early Winchester front sights marked with an L of the Lyman Company have been widely reported. (Left-most front sight below). Another odd marking (or is it?) can be seen on the bottom of the right-most unmarked Winchester-type "thumbnail" front sight on an original WRA carbine. Is that an L or just an unusual forging marking?

Chris Albright’s IBM manufacturer update article in Newsletter 329 reported that fabricated front sights were marked PO B on the right side.

This particular sight

Has the markings on the inside of the left wing, suggesting that the "wing" was stamped before being formed.

Marking errors on receivers have been widely reported over the years, including reports of early Inlands with deeply stamped markings. This 4-digit receiver was stamped so deep that impressions from the number dies can be plainly seen. (The milled grooves on the rear sight dovetail are from a sight modification made by the postwar Bavarian Police. See Newsletter 354-3.)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

If you have similar marking please share your posts or comments below.
We are also looking for submissions for future articles.

Edited by New2brass - May 17 2020 at 12:01pm
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 12:56am
In regards to the S. & C. sling well mark (lower left pic) which manufacture was it made for? I have an identical stamped m2 low-wood without a cartouche, has a small O.G in a box stamped below receiver lift side, non-potbelly. Would this be a rebuild replacement stock??
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 6:11am
Yes, OG is the mark for Ogden Arsenal.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 10:15am
I know the OG was for Ogden Arsenal, but was this stock originally designated for one of the manufactures or arsenal rebuilders only?? Or just M2 replacements in general??
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
JOHN42768 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOHN42768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2016 at 12:44pm
S&C stock marking I believe early Sprague and Carleton Co.
May the Souls of all those who served and protected our Freedoms Rest in Peace
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by gene of oregon gene of oregon wrote:

In regards to the S. & C. sling well mark (lower left pic) which manufacture was it made for? I have an identical stamped m2 low-wood without a cartouche, non-potbelly. Would this be a rebuild replacement stock??

That was the question posed in CCNL 202-7 and why this is posted here.
I do not think it has ever been confirmed or denied.
Can you post some pics?
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 8:17pm
I no longer have this stock but I kept the photos. It was a birch type 4.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 10:01pm
That was the question posed in CCNL 202-7 and why this is posted here.

I do not think it has ever been confirmed or denied.

Can you post some pics?

Hope this worked. Gene

http://imgur.com/rWez5s2

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2016 at 10:46pm
I'm comparing pic's of the lower left and the pic I just posted, it's the same pic.   I posted that pic back some time ago on CMP I believe.   Gene    
                  Mystery solved thanks Dan (New2brass)

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2016 at 12:05am
So I cropped the pictures from end to end of sling well and pasted into one picture to try keeping relative size. Keep in mind that pictures taken at different angles can skew comparative pictures.
We know S.C. B Is Sprague and Carlton and were known to use birch
The S.&C. stocks were non pot belly M2 with some differences such as fonts. Made of walnut.
The S.&C. .U. were clearly for Underwood as several still have the late CC.
Now we have Huntermans   SC u. Notice how the fonts and sizes tie in?
top 2 S C notice possible serif on C first S inconclusive, second appears Serif on S
2 and 3 the U similar size and font
3 and 4 ??
remember the skew. Maybe we can arrange better angles of pictures.

Discussion....... 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2016 at 1:53pm
Anyone with a S&C stock I ask that you look under the butt plate and report numbers if found.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2016 at 4:47pm
Here are some reported stocks from Sprague and Carlton with the numbers on the butt.
Please report any numbers found. or if no numbers found.

EWRich View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EWRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2016 at 5:00pm
OK, I'm really glad you posted that pic.  I was assuming a written number, thus me thinking that the grunge may have obscured them.  But no doubt now that I look at this picture that my stock has no such stampings.
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2016 at 10:35pm
If someone here would like my S & C stock and would pay the shipping I'd be happy to send it to you. I really have no use for it. Let me know, Gene
           Sending it to Newbrass per our PM's
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2016 at 9:30am
One quick look yielded an SCB with very crisp 8 high and 2 low. It's been cut to low wood. Another has a 15 high but too obscured low to see anything. Cut to low wood.
M1Dude View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2017 at 12:45pm
Hey Guy's,
                   Here is a rare marking stamped into the stock of my original 1-43 Inland.. to the left of the bolt, I have seen other markings close to this of a few other carbines.  Anyone ever see anything like this?

Rgds, Mike
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 7:44pm
Here's another unusually marked stock. I bought it thinking it was a good value for an Overton Type 3, but when I received it I saw another mark. Why would someone stamp "OI" over "LW-B"? The guru's on the M1Carbineforum.com suggest this might have been an undocumented transfer. What do you think?

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 8:18pm
@mike, i missed your post.
Yes that mark has been observed and reported, thank you for posting.

@Jack,the question here is did Inland or Overton mark the slingwell?
Parts were to be marked so if there was an issue they knew which factory made it and to what prime contractor used it.
In the case of OI it is Overton to Inland.
We do see transfered stocks to Inland with just an "I" added to other marks.
So i would expect it to be LW-B and just an I, no O as overton had nothing to do with transfer.
So the question next is there crossed cannons on stock? If so whos crossed cannons.

EDIT
Notice the nice kitties above?
This is why we picked forum software that lets us store pictures.
Much information was lost when photobucket stopped linking photos. Imgr photo expire.
Please post from your aloted space.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 8:48pm
I don't have the stock anymore but it did have an Inland crossed cannon cartouche and an Augusta Arsenal rebuild mark. Also a circle-P on the grip. Here are the only other pictures I still have of it. All other pictures were on Photobucket which I can no longer access (meow!).

I considered that it might have been transferred between Overton and Lumb Woodworking directly rather than between prime contractors. Here's a link to the subject on the M1CarbineForum.com.

http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6655
JackP
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2018 at 9:27pm
How common is this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>