Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Markings on Parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2020 at 12:14pm
How about a piston with a "C" etched into the fat side?

JackP
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2020 at 3:00pm
Hmmm...wonder if it signifies a manufacturer or maybe a different material, like being coated with chromium or made of chromoly?  Aren’t some barrels coated with chromoly?  Maybe they were experimenting with something?
Chad
USN Retired
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2020 at 4:14pm
@ 1st M1 88: That is an interesting band. the C does not look symmetrical, though it may be the angle the photo was taken. What is it on?

@tenOCEE: I misread that the R was on top of the extractor, which is a later feature. Yes the overstamp has been reported on the inside and not an Underwood extractor. Evidently not a recorded transfer.

@Jack: Odd that the C is not carbon fouled. I figure the etching would grab it up. Do you think this is specific to a particular barrel manufacturer?

Good stuff guys, Keep reporting the unusual markings.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2020 at 4:58pm
This one is on eBay right now.  Wonder if it is just a mark in the carbon film from the gas port hole and recess in the front of the piston chamber?  This one has a similar mark, though not nearly as defined.

Chad
USN Retired
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2020 at 9:08pm
New2brass.  That barrel band is on an early inland serial 155311.  I've been working on a data sheet just haven't completed yet.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2021 at 10:52am
I have a T-1 band swivel that is unmarked except for a stamped line or crease in it.

This band and swivel came from a crate of de-milled barrels and receivers that were de-milled during the 1960s and had been sitting in the original crate ever since, so I have high confidence that it is genuine.

Maybe it is just some kind of artifact that was left by the stamping process, as does not appear to be a purposeful stamp or marking of any kind.

The photos and lighting make the coloring look very silver in color, but in person, it is a flat gray parkerized color.

Anyone ever seen this?

Chad
USN Retired
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 12:37pm
Quality Hardware & Machine Co. 1641290 in original finish with a line through the Quality H.M.C.. This is one I’ve had a while. Thought at first it was intended to be a line-out; but, since I never found where QHMC sent line-outs to other makers, I concluded the line through Quality H.M.C. was a stamping machine error when the SN was applied.
Buffalo Arms 8-1943 barrel. Has a Type 1 square S -- never been off dovetail; both leaves are notched.

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 1:05pm
cool--never seen a QHMC with that issue from serial machine before--it would have been around Oct of 43--is about when Un-quality started producing--maybe they crossed it out-sample receiver--no idea-just a wag--I have a NPM buff out Un-quality so anything is possible
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 2:13pm
Yep OAMAAM68, that is an interesting QHMC. Wonder if it is possible that that was a re-used scrapped receiver. Does it have a comma after the 30 on the front of the receiver?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
OAMAAM68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OAMAAM68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 4:23pm

No comma. All NPM 'U' and all UN-QUALITY receivers that I've seen have the comma on the front ring. Quality H.M.C. carbines also have this front ring comma up to serial number 1621877. QHMC carbine 1633386 and beyond do not have the comma. Somewhere inside this range of serial numbers is where the comma went away. Newsletter 380-19 has a short blurb on this "comma question".
SF,
Bill
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 4:38pm
Bill,
Yes that is why I asked about the comma thinking that it may have been an earlier scrapped receiver and then reused with a later serial. Whatever the case it is interesting.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 8:11pm

For the collection of unusual stampings

Edited by kro1970 - Jan 31 2021 at 10:11pm
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2021 at 11:20pm
Makes you wonder what the rational was for changing the Inland logo from horizontal to vertical that they thought was important enough to Change this one.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2021 at 12:32am
Edith and Estelle teamed up to work split victory shifts
Edith worked Tuesday night when the logo direction changed happened. 
Estelle on Wednesday night,  not knowing the change happened and stamped them horizontal.

Her sharp eyed supervisor caught this right away and informed her of the change. She took the handful and restamped them to the new specifications.

There are only 7 out there, I call dibs on the next one!Clown
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2021 at 4:43pm
From our resident Inland Guru and former Inland Employee Ron Dalhamer on the Victory Shift.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/VictoryShift.jpg

and for those of use that would need to reach for the readers

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/VictoryShift1.jpg

Edited by New2brass - Feb 11 2021 at 11:41am
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2021 at 4:44pm
Help wanted ad from August 1943

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/VictoryShift2.jpg
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 7:34pm
Double stamped R.I. Reece Button Hole Machine Co. for Inland trigger.

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2021 at 7:48pm
One more... an EU over RP type 2 stamped front sight.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 7:40pm
I will match your R.I.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/TriggerRIRI.jpg

and raise you EM-B over EM-Q bolt

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/3657/EMBoverEMQ.jpg

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2021 at 8:01pm
I think I posted this in another forum.

JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>