The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crack in Carbine stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMAOPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crack in Carbine stock
    Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 9:49pm
I'm looking at a Carbine on the CMP auction site.   There is a small crack in the wood stock, between the trigger housing and the recoil plate nut.    There is a picture of a similar crack on the US carbine cal 30 site.  But, I'm not sure of the significance or implications of such a flaw.   Would this be a problem for shooting the rifle?  Is it repairable?     
Thank you!   
AJ
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2016 at 12:33pm
If you pm which one i can check it out. I think bottom is less critical but it is subjective based on extent.
SMAOPN View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMAOPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 8:25pm
On the CMP auction,

http://cmp1.zenfolio.com/p128238121/h67fdc947#h67fdc947

picture no.  6:

A similar defect is shown on the bottom of this page:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html

But, there is no discussion of the significance of this.  Just wondering if I should steer clear of a gun like this, since I'm new to collecting these. Thanks a lot!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 9:02pm
Would be good to get a look inside and see the "severity" of the crack to determine what to do if anything. Also depends on if you are going to shoot it or not. Looks like the crack spreads out from the other side of the recoil plate nut. Would imagine if going to shoot it, should repair it. Don't want it to spread.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2016 at 11:51am
+1 on what m1a1fan says.
If it is an issue the CMP usually makes good. The picture on our stock pages actually shows more of a chip that is typical when someone trys removing an escusion (nut) from stock. It typically breaks a 1/16 or so chip. It usually glued back and not a shooter issue, just collectability.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2017 at 10:03pm
Another possibility, cracks radiating out from the recoil nut and screw could be the result of the stock drying out and shrinking. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:53am
I've seen so much damage over the years in that area from tight wads driving the escutcheon nut out just so they can grab a couple of extra bucks selling it. It's a shame to say that nothing surprises me as to the lengths people will go to squeeze blood out of a turnip on these guns.
M1Dude View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 8:03pm
Stock looks like it has been sanded and stained.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Another possibility, cracks radiating out from the recoil nut and screw could be the result of the stock drying out and shrinking. 

Charles brings up a good point.  Maybe not the case here, but if the stock is dry, keep it oiled to prevent cracks developing or getting worse.
 Post Reply Post Reply