The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Inland Mfg. Carbines - Anyone Purchased One?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Inland Mfg. Carbines - Anyone Purchased One?
    Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 8:08pm
Has anyone purchased one of the new Inland Manufacturing M1 Carbines that are being produced in Dayton, OH?

https://www.inland-mfg.com

I handled one at OGCA last year, and it looked pretty nice, but it was only a 30-second look that I took of it. I'm interested if anyone has purchased one, shot one, and has any kind of feedback about them.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2016 at 6:46pm
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2016 at 10:45am
cali201,

Thanks for the link. I hope to see additional discussion like that here soon, as more members become aware of the new forum.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
SteveG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2016 at 8:49am
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

cut and paste this link

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=53708

Good grief, I just read the posts on this link, and would really suggest others do also.  I think the people posting were trying to be as honest as possible.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2016 at 1:10pm
I would guess that they are a lot like new car models when they first come out, a lot of little glitch's that get resolved very soon. Hopefully they have a Customer Relations dept set up to take care of them.

Retired Army, 22 years.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2016 at 9:43am
I have been a fan of the Carbine since I carried a M2 in Korea, and a chopped M2 in Vietnam.

I got back into the Carbines the 1st part of this year with a nice 1943 Underwood. I love shooting it, and have it as a backup Home Defense gun along with my S&W 9mm.

I have wanted to get something like the chopped M2 I had in Nam, but only choices were one of the old Enforcers type pistols, and they have lots of problems with reliability for a SHTF or Home Defense gun. The timing of the new Inland Advisor release was perfect, and I decided to get one.

My Advisor came in yesterday, and is sitting here being disassembled,inspected, cleaned and lubed. I will test fit it into my other cut down Carbine stock tomorrow and get some photos.

These are a little expensive, but are built to USGI Specs, so I can have a spare parts kit for both the Underwood and this, and use the same ammo and mags in my SHTF gear. I carried a spare bolt in Nam, and will with these also.

Here is a link to my Carbine Page. 

http://webpages.charter.net/wd4ngb/carbine.htm

It has a few photos of my 1943 Underwood, and my history with the Advisor Carbine.

As soon as I have the cut down M1 Carbine stock fitted to the new Inland Advisor, I will take some photos latter today. I will take it to the range for some break in and testing next week.

Retired Army, 22 years.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2016 at 11:08am
Looking forward to the photos, and the range report!

David
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
RONKIRK View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONKIRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2016 at 3:48am
DON'T OWN ONE BUT CALLED THEM & ASKED IF IT WAS 100% G.I.COMPATABLE.TOOK A WHILE BUT THEY FINALLY TOLD ME IT IS 90%. I HAVE HEARD GOOD & BAD REVIEWS SO GOOD LUCK IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO BUY ONE. ALSO, I COULD BE WRONG BUT I WAS TOLD THERE NOT THE INLAND FROM THE WW-2 YEARS AND THEY HAVE THE RIGHTS TO USE THE NAME.
                                                RON KIRK
KIRK
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2016 at 9:10am
Well I received my Inland Advisor Carbine Pistol, and took it apart to inspect, clean and lube. So far, so good. Everything seems fine so far. I tested my Underwood bolt and trigger assembly into the Advisor, and the Advisor's into the Underwood, and they swap just fine. I checked the head space on both, and just fine. Dry fired both, and checked feeding ammo from my known good mags, and they work just fine. Will do a range test in the near future. 

Advisor and its stock

Mounted in my cut down M1 Carbine stock. This is how the one I carried in Nam looked.

Retired Army, 22 years.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2016 at 9:33am
My 1943 Underwood with the Advisor. I am fabricating a sling mount to put on the bottom of the grip so I can sling it easily. I Just used a rope in Nam.

Retired Army, 22 years.
SeoulFood View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeoulFood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2016 at 6:53am
Wow! Not bad. Definitely looks better in the cut stock :)
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 9:20pm
Did you have the M2 Version in country? If so, was it accurate, or was it just an "up close and personal" weapon?
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 9:56pm
While there may have been some "soft bolt" issues early in the "New Inland Carbine" production, I believe that Ron Norton may have replaced the offending bolts, replacing them with properly tempered units.

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 10:07pm
I like the looks and the feel of it in the cut down stock a lot more than the Para stock. The one I carried on Nam was a cut down M2, and was as accurate as you could expect for a 10 inch barrel. In single shot mode, about 100 yards would result in about a 8 - 10 inch group. With no butt stock, my rope sling was adjusted so it was tight when I extended it, and held under the front. This gives a very stable firing position.  Most of the time on Auto, it was for 25 yards or less, from the hip, or slightly higher. 

I am setting this one up with a short rail under the front, and putting a grip stop on it, with a combo light/laser on it. Will post up photo in a day or 2.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by wd4ngb wd4ngb wrote:

I like the looks and the feel of it in the cut down stock a lot more than the Para stock. The one I carried on Nam was a cut down M2, and was as accurate as you could expect for a 10 inch barrel. In single shot mode, about 100 yards would result in about a 8 - 10 inch group. With no butt stock, my rope sling was adjusted so it was tight when I extended it, and held under the front. This gives a very stable firing position.  Most of the time on Auto, it was for 25 yards or less, from the hip, or slightly higher. 

I am setting this one up with a short rail under the front, and putting a grip stop on it, with a combo light/laser on it. Will post up photo in a day or 2.

While I know these were useful "in country" what about stateside? Other than fun, is there a "practical" side to this pistol?

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2016 at 11:33pm
Perfect back up Home Defense, and SHTF gun. I prefer this over a AR type rifle because it is much lighter, smaller, more maneuverable, plenty of stopping power with ammo like Hornady Critical Defense in typical defensive distances. and much less chance of a missed shot traveling too far and hitting a unintended target, especially in a sub division. With the light/laser under it, very quick target acquisition. 

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by wd4ngb wd4ngb wrote:

Perfect back up Home Defense, and SHTF gun. I prefer this over a AR type rifle because it is much lighter, smaller, more maneuverable, plenty of stopping power with ammo like Hornady Critical Defense in typical defensive distances. and much less chance of a missed shot traveling too far and hitting a unintended target, especially in a sub division. With the light/laser under it, very quick target acquisition. 

Sounds like the perfect definition of an HD weapon! Thumbs Up People think that I'm silly when I tell them that the .30 Carbine, loaded with hot soft point ammunition, beats the #ell out of a handgun every time!

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2016 at 6:54pm
Oh yea, I keep a couple of 9mm pistols on me, or close by, but if things get serious, Sweet Thing 2 comes into play. Sweet Thing was what I called my M2 in Nam, so this is Sweet Thing 2. :)  

Here is the Advisor with the Light/Laser added.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2016 at 7:56pm
Looks like "#ell on wheels" to me! We have both seen enough death in our times, and we don't readily warm to the idea. On the other hand, I don't intend to die before my time. This is why I'm so fond of the M1 Carbine.

The "little rifle" can raise "Holy Ned" in a heartbeat! When I was a little boy, I called my Daisy Western Field BB rifle "Old Betsy". I have been trying to create a moniker for my A/O AOM 130 M1 Carbine.

Any thoughts?

Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2016 at 10:02pm
You may already know this, but if you purchase a forged bolt from either Fulton Armory, or James River Armory, your bolt may have a longer life than those from Inland. From what I understand, either the FA or JRA are superbly machined  to the "n" th level of perfection.

I hope that Ron Norton has solved the "soft bolt" problem.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>