The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Army-Navy "E" Award Programs for Carbine Mfg's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Army-Navy "E" Award Programs for Carbine Mfg's?
    Posted: Feb 08 2016 at 8:41pm
I would like this post publicly shared...

Does anyone on the board own an Army-Navy "E" Award Program that was presented to any of the M1 Carbine manufacturers during WWII? I'm curious how many, if not all, manufacturers of the M1 Carbine were presented with the award. I've done some study of the Army-Navy "E" subject, but have not looked into its association with the Carbine previously.

Here is an example from my collection of the award program from when it was presented to Savage Arms in 1942, for production of the Thompson Submachine Gun, and .50 Caliber Aircraft Machine Guns.

Any input is appreciated. I think this could be a good place to potentially store historical copies of any M1 Carbine related Army-Navy "E" Award Programs, or other related ephemera.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2016 at 8:40pm
I've been able to determine that Inland, and IBM were awarded the Army-Navy "E" Award three times each during WWII. I have not been able to determine awards for other manufacturers yet. Perhaps this information is already published somewhere that I missed...If so, please help me out, and direct me to such information.

A government report upon the termination of the award in 1945 indicates that only 5% of eligible plants were presented with the award.

My main objective is to see if anyone has any of the documents associated with the awards for M1 Carbine production.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2016 at 7:55pm
Hi David,

A check of War Baby!, page 161, shows that Saginaw Steering Gear received the Army-Navy E award for the M1919 machine gun, but I can't find anything in that book, re: Carbine manufacturers receiving it. As you implied, Inland certainly earned their's !   Production wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Inland being the engineering and production leader. Your best bet might be to email author Larry Ruth. If anyone has the E Award records, it will be him. I will email you Larry's address. BTW, I saw a Saginaw M1919 at the Santa Barbara, CA gunshow today, and lifted it off the table and walked around with it. Sure glad I didn't have to carry one of those across Europe or the Pacific!   Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2016 at 10:39am
So far, I've determined that the following Carbine mfg's received the Army-Navy "E" Award:

Inland
I.B.M.
National Postal Meter
Underwood

That's a pretty good record among the Carbine manufacturers, because only about 5% of eligible WWII manufacturers overall received the award. I have a line on some photos of some of the award programs...It will probably be a few weeks before I receive them.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2016 at 9:35pm
I know you are asking specifically about carbine manufactures but thought I would share a recent item.
At a local barbershop there is a advertisement for Cadillac. It had a picture of a tank. Below it showed the E for excellence pennant  
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2016 at 10:23pm
New2brass,

Yes, the award was something that many companies featured prominently in their period advertising, and even after the war for several years. If you look through WWII magazines, you'll see it in many ads. Just less than 5% of qualified companies earned the award, and some earned it several times over, adding stars to their Army-Navy "E" flag.

That is one point that I have clarified recently. I had a Carbine expert assert to me that a company could not earn the award again for the same product, but I have determined that assertion to be incorrect. There was a process to earn it repeatedly, for the same product(s), and some companies did, such as H&R, and Auto-Ordnance. Inland earned it for the Carbine, as well as for other products.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
ibm1jh View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibm1jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2016 at 10:23am
FYI, I have an original IBM Army-Navy E-award program, but for Endicott Plant #1, not the Poughkeepsie Plant #4 (carbine) site. Still, IBM won E-awards 3 times during WWII, I think.

Thanks.

John H
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2016 at 9:35pm
ibm1jh,

It's still neat to see your IBM program, even though it's not from the Carbine plant. Thanks for posting it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

I have a line on some photos of some of the award programs...It will probably be a few weeks before I receive them.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

The person who offered up photos of their Carbine Army-Navy "E" Award programs never came through for me. If anyone has examples from their collections, I would still like to document them here.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 11:00am
You can't help but be in awe at the amount of effort that went into winning the war, GM was involved in making Carbines (Inland, Saginaw, and Saginaw S.G.) the most of any other manufacturer, they also built equipment and tooling for, and to assist other manufactures. On top of that, their GMC division was building trucks at a breakneck pace. Then as New2brass pointed out divisions such as Cadillac where building tanks at an overwhelming rate, we literally smothered the enemy with the numbers and with our industrial might, GM played a major part in that. The entire country was involved in the war effort, any company who could manufacture anything was put to work. We as a nation have never seen anything like this before or since, truly something to be proud of.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 11:04am
RClark9595,

Agree completely. GM also built the M3 "Greasegun" in their Guide Lamp Division in Indiana.

BTW, I'm still looking for Carbine Army-Navy "E" Award programs.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

... any company who could manufacture anything was put to work.
That is the reason I started collecting a few carbine mag pouches, aka pockets as well as one each of the carbine mfgs, carbine mags, and a few bayos.  Like to show my kids (not kids anymore) all the companies helping support the war effort which as stated above was basically everybody.  America at her finest!

Post Reply Post Reply