Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flip Sight Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip Sight Markings
    Posted: Jan 16 2016 at 4:16pm
Would anybody know if a Company or Companies that made Flip Sights if they did both the Housing and the Leaf (L) and did the Markings on them. I been reading in my books and asked someone and didn't get a answer. If anyone has some information either Fact or what you believe to be would be a BIG help. You can Post it here or PM me, so I can show some pictures of what I have to believe is Fake and Original. This information would help a lot for myself and others. It would let me be able to add more details about the Post of Pictures I want to Show. TIA !
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 10:49am
not all housings were marked, not all leafs were marked. Some manufactures evidently assembled the sights as it has been seen where the base and flip were of two different manufactures for same prime contractor
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 3:40pm
I learned the hard way on what a fake Underwood sight looks like. Fortunately I found a de-milled receiver on Ebay with a correct Underwood rear sight and leaf. It was painful watching my gunsmith friend violently pounding the fake sight off of my INLAND line-out receiver and installing the correct one. The operation was a success though. The fake is the top photo.
Dave
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 5:08pm
This older collector showed me ALL of his Carbines and the Flip Sights he had on them and ALL the ones he had in a box and showed me. Here at the Pistol and Rifle Club thee guys are well know Collectors and one of them we became good friends. As matter of fact I grabbed a nice one he was Selling. The Real one should be curved instead of straight and no milled circle lines inside the cone side of the peep hole. I came home and looked at few Collector Style Carbines that had Flips Sights and sent him pictures then he came over to look at them and I was lucky mine had real Flip Sights, but I didn't have as many Carbines as he had I was almost embarrassed. I wish I did have as much but i'm working on it. I don't think I've seen the tip of the U inside the peep hole, but I'm no expert.

In case you come across a problem like that buy the tools. I bought way back all the tools needed just in case I got a mixmaster that I want to give it's life back. I didn't buy the Trigger Springs tool as I learned how to do it with my pinky and its quicker.IMHO
Frank

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 7:07pm
IMNTSX,

I bought 1 complete along with a few flip sight bases from a dealers junk box at a LGS years ago. The complete one had the leaf spring rusted in half. Upon removing it and after wire brushing out the crud from the inside, I found this marking:

I've never been crazy enough to try to take any other complete flips apart looking for markings inside.

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 7:14pm
Neither have I...good find. I have to show this to my buddy and see what he knows about it. I bet some guys on Milsurps will give you several different answers and some will know they had them forever, but never mentioned it. Nice find and very ballsy to take one apart.
Frank

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 8:13pm
I had to take it apart, spring rusted in half.
I always try to clean any crud out from under others after seeing what can happen.

Most of the guys on Surps have seen these pictures.
I'm a member there, same username, just been a while since being on.

Flip sight bases and separate leafs were sent from some makers to others.
I have Inland 5061238 that came with a .U. flip sight. Made shortly after Inland received bases, leafs and complete flips from Underwood. War Baby documents (page 358) the parts transfer like this:

From Underwood to Inland:
12-28-43  4,000  rear sight leaf
4-3-44  5,394  rear sight leaf
4-3-44  2,233  rear sight assembly

Pics of Inland 5,061,238:

Cheers,
Charlie-painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 8:32pm
Charlie, thanks for sharing your .U. marked sight base. That's the only never-to-be-seen marked part on a carbine. We all learned something today.
Dave
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2016 at 8:33pm
That is ONE nice looking Carbine. The Flip sight Looks Great ! Are all Flips Sights the same like I heard the L is always a littler darker than that base ?
Frank

Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by imntxs564 imntxs564 wrote:

Would anybody know if a Company or Companies that made Flip Sights if they did both the Housing and the Leaf (L) and did the Markings on them. I been reading in my books and asked someone and didn't get a answer. If anyone has some information either Fact or what you believe to be would be a BIG help. You can Post it here or PM me, so I can show some pictures of what I have to believe is Fake and Original. This information would help a lot for myself and others. It would let me be able to add more details about the Post of Pictures I want to Show. TIA !

Frank look at page 32 of the Riesch book, it shows who made what and how it was marked or un-marked

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply