Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Club Requests and Member Submissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Research: Marlin Barrel Finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research: Marlin Barrel Finish
    Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 10:26am
Have a theory that all Marlin barrels came from the factory with a black oxide finish (blued). Anyone have an original carbine with Marlin barrel that does not have a black oxide finish?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 7:11pm
Interesting one, I have a file on Marlin barrels I have handled, none black oxide that I remember.
But if were asking for info on Marlin I will add this. Any one seen a mark like this on a Marlin barrel.

I will add this NPM 4119xxx has the lightest of blast if at all, might just be crystallization of phosphate.
It may be original finish

Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 7:38pm

My NPM 'U' carbine has a Marlin barrel. The color is dark but I wouldn't call it black. The front sight is marked 'SN' and has a reverse 'SN' under the sight blade.
Dave
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 8:19pm
Can you post a picture of the barrel with the hand guard off? It is easier to tell the finish type by looking at a protected part of the barrel.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 9:19pm

I know what you mean but I don't have the shot that you need. I'll have to take some pics (probably this Saturday) and get back to you.
Dave
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 1:30pm
I look forward to seeing them. Looking at the picture of the side view of the gas cylinder, that could be a black oxide finish.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 3:52pm
Here are some, unfortunately not so good, pictures of the Marlin barrel of my NPM M1.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2016 at 6:27pm
Hello Aschaefer,
Your NPM has a 'U' stamped on the bevel below the serial number doesn't it? I noticed in your photo that there's a comma stamped on the front ring between the .30 and the M1. That means your NPM receiver was made by Union Switch & Signal and US&S only made 48,000 of them for NPM.
Any time you see a carbine for sale that has a comma on the front ring, buy it! That means it's either a NPM 'U' or an UN-QUALITY.
Later,
Dave 'love the comma' Tennent
Dave
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Dave Tennent Dave Tennent wrote:

Hello Aschaefer,
Your NPM has a 'U' stamped on the bevel below the serial number doesn't it? I noticed in your photo that there's a comma stamped on the front ring between the .30 and the M1. That means your NPM receiver was made by Union Switch & Signal and US&S only made 48,000 of them for NPM.
Any time you see a carbine for sale that has a comma on the front ring, buy it! That means it's either a NPM 'U' or an UN-QUALITY.
Later,
Dave 'love the comma' Tennent

Very good eye for the details!
You are absolutely right Dave, it has a 'U' on the bevel. That was one of the reasons I bought this NPM.
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 11:05am
I have never noticed that comma before.  So I took a look at mine and sure enough it is there!!
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2016 at 6:34pm
I forgot to mention that early Quality H.M.C. carbines also have this front ring comma up to serial number 1621877. QHMC carbine 1633386 and beyond do not have the comma. Somewhere inside this range of serial numbers is where the comma went away. If you have one or know someone who has a QHMC carbine within this serial number range please let me know and I'll add it to my spread sheet and narrow the gap. All NPM 'U' and all UN-QUALITY receivers that I've seen have the comma on the front ring. Newsletter 380-19 has a short blurb on this "comma question".

QHMC 1581622
Dave
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2016 at 6:38am
Here is the receiver ring of my Quality H.M.C. carbines with number 1552900

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 3:06pm
Hello NewScott,
Here's some pics of my NPM Marlin barrel. The color is darker than the greenish patina of the barrel band and receiver. I hope this helps in your research.
Dave
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2016 at 2:24pm
I agree, NSL....In my long-term, but still limited collecting experience (and bad memory = disclaimer!), every Marlin barrel that I've seen on a factory-original carbine has been a blue/black color. Decades ago, the Garand collectors discussed a limited-production run of Marlin barrels for the M1 Rifle during WWII. They too were blue/black oxide, and were appropriately called "Blue Marlins" by Mr. Garand's inner circle.

If you are interested in learning more about those, PM me and I'll give you Billy Pyle's email address.

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2016 at 3:47pm
That looks good in my book, Dave! Nice! Marty Black
Marty Black
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2016 at 5:20pm
I believe that's a black oxide finish. Here's another picture of the Marlin barrel on my NPM. Nice NPM U by the way.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2016 at 11:06pm
Man, that's as nice as a NPM with a Marlin bbl gets!   Fantastic contrast! No wonder the Garand guys call them "Blue Marlins!" Thanks for sharing, Marty Black
Marty Black
Johnboy490 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy490 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2016 at 3:01pm
I have a npm ,Marlin barrel that has a similar mark like that ,I thought it was 3 if you would like to see it send your email..to
Johnboy490@gmail.com
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2017 at 11:40pm
Here is a decent picture showing contrast between my NPM's original park finish and its 
MARLIN barrel ....

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
MalteseHawk View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalteseHawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2018 at 2:14am
My NPM (U) Carbine has a Marlin barrel and it too is a blued one. It is in the #43475xx range. I have another NPM with a Marlin barrel #42101xx, but I will need to dig it out to check if it is blued.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image