Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM .30M1 sn 3675209

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 4:48pm
Nice evening out with the carbine again, what a lovely nice rifle to shoot. It was about 30 degrees (Centigrade) hot so the ammo went a little faster (and higher)......
Still some fly-offs......need to train more. This was 25 meters in the kneeled (my favorite) position.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 5:21pm
Nice Shooting...Were you using a 10 Round mag after getting your sight settings correct ? Those 10 Round Holes in the center looks like you dialed it in just right.

Note: Maybe theres 9 holes, but could of had repeat shot
Frank

patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 3:51am
I was using a 10 round mag, the old SI one, that works best, the other one I have (new) often gives misfeeds. I always load only 5 shots.
Still figuring out why I have a fly-off now and then......must be something moving unpredicted somewhere....or....it's just me getting older and shaking more.
The ones in the center were the ones after dialing in correctly. I also know that the carbine needs to cool down after each 5 shots otherwise it the group starts to spread out a bit.
It is actually 10 shots, the one top right in the bullseye are actually 2.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by patrickduis patrickduis wrote:

I was using a 10 round mag, the old SI one, that works best, the other one I have (new) often gives misfeeds. I always load only 5 shots.
Still figuring out why I have a fly-off now and then......must be something moving unpredicted somewhere....or....it's just me getting older and shaking more.
The ones in the center were the ones after dialing in correctly. I also know that the carbine needs to cool down after each 5 shots otherwise it the group starts to spread out a bit.
It is actually 10 shots, the one top right in the bullseye are actually 2.

It should be cooling off if your loading only 5 rounds at a time. It could be your ammo. I shoot 15 sometimes 30 round mags and yes it gets hot. It also depends how rapid your Shooting it. Shaking and pulling will give you fly offs. When I target shoot with a 15 I slow down my shooting for accuracy. Just keep squeezing and don't shoot for accuracy after your barrel is real hot. Also the distance could be a problem. Was this indoor or outdoor shooting. You will get better cooling outdoors.
Frank

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2016 at 3:29am
This was indoors and it was a really hot day, about 30 degrees C in our cellar (sweat was running from my back into my underpants). I also noticed the PRVI ammo burned a bit faster, had to aim a slight bit lower than normal.

Next months it will be much colder in Holland since autumn starts, then I'll test again. I don't recall having so many misfeeds before as on this hot day.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2016 at 3:59pm
Tonight was out .30M1 club match....I hope my kneeled score (see pic) will be sufficient and compensate for my standing one with the flyer to 7.....(my fault, not the carbines..)...I'm still no master at standing....but still improving, that's most important....

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2016 at 4:23pm
Had another nice everning at the range with the IBM......I noticed it groups better when you blow though the barrel after a round of 5 shots......getting there....stil 1st place with .30M1 in our clubmatch. Still a few clicks clockwise on the windage and we're there.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2017 at 5:49pm
Finished 2nd (only 1 point behind the winner, he beat me in the last match) in the .30M1 club competition this year.........I'm starting with handloading now, so all tips & info is welcome. I want to use 110gr FMJ RN bullets with Vihtavouri N110 powder.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2017 at 6:33pm
Nice shooting.  Congratulations
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2017 at 1:03am
Congrats! Beer
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 4:01pm
Our .30m1 club competition is hot again this year, and the same guy that beat met last year with only 1 point is on my tail, but has problems with his reloads. I reload now with 13.3grs Vihtavuori N110 with a 110grs FMJ and it starts to pay off. Still ranking one, but since this evening I'm a bit "loose" from him because a shot a 199 out of 200! This will be a tough one to beat for him!
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 7:15pm
Very nice shooting!

Is the match all shot at 25 meters?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 8:08pm
Good shooting!  We're cheering for you.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 04 2017 at 8:12pm
Yes, 25m 10 standing and 10 kneeled........our carbines are getting old and get their small diseases now and then you need to fix....so it's quite a challenge to shoot matches with a rifle of about 80 years old.........But that's what's so nice, everybody has exactly the same type of rifle, so not the guy with most money wins (like with lots of long distance target shooting). The one that cares for his old little rifle best does, as well as the guy that feeds it the right ammo.
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2017 at 9:20am
When setting up your breathing.....take a breath...let a little out ....the muzzle wil rise and fall.....you want the front sight to be on aiming point as you finish letting out a little breath.....if its high or low adjust breath again until it stops where you want it......then squeeze trigger and hold it to the rear......after shot ...repeat set up again for next shot....and so on
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2017 at 9:21am
This applies no matter what position you are in

Also forgot....part of follow thru and recovery....after recoil and you are holing trigger to the rear....the front sight will come back down....look at front sight.... (2sight pictures for. Ea rd)....then release trigger and apply fundamentals for next rd
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2017 at 9:51am
Yes, that are the things (I think) I do right, but there are always steps for improvement of course and it takes continuous practice, this rifle shooting, if you let go for a few weeks you see that your scores go down a bit. Rifle shooting looks much easier than it really is, but that's what I like about it, it is tough but very nice to do.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2017 at 6:33am
Tomorrow is the last .30m1 match of the year, the guy that beat me last year by just 1 point is on my tail again, but now 15 points behind me.
There are also 2 guys competing for 3rd place. So it is again a very nice match, until the end.
Wish me luck this year!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2017 at 8:56am
Good luck!  May your hands be steady and your aim be true.  Let us know how you do.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2017 at 10:29am
Good Luck, will be waiting to hear the results of the match. Merry Christmas.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>