Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland Slide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland Slide
    Posted: Jan 11 2016 at 10:29pm
I was looking at a couple of Reference Books on M1 Carbine Parts and can someone help me Identify this. I think it's a T5, but most have the Part Number on the Bottom. It does mention though that some early ones only had a single Numerical Mark didn't mention anything about a letter. Has anyone seen this type ?
Frank

crashtestnewbie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 12:26am
Make everyday a good day
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 11:14am
Looks like an E379 or L379 (IV or V). If you post a picture of the rear of the slide box, from above, I can tell you whether it has the increased dwell. See:
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/slides.html

look about halfway down.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 12:38pm
Here are some more Pics, if I didn't get the Correct ones you need let me know and will take more. Thank You
Frank

Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 2:35pm
The slide is an early L379 (V). Inland used three different types of L379. 1. no increased dwell/ no 7160091 stamp 2. increased dwell/no 7160091 stamp 3. increased dwell/with 7160091 number stamped on bottom. Yours is #1.

I don't know why the link above doesn't work.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 2:42pm
This came on my early '45 Inland when I bought it. Would this be correct for it ? I'm not looking to change it, it's work just fine. I Just don't know what Inland this slide should of been on. Thanks for the Help.

It's says "Server Error This Resource cannot be found".
Frank

Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 3:35pm
"Would this be correct for it ?"

No. That slide was used late in the first serial number block and beginning of second block.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 3:40pm
link fixed
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

"Would this be correct for it ?"

No. That slide was used late in the first serial number block and beginning of second block.

Thanks for your Help. Well, If it's that far off I will try to find one to put in my '45 Hand Stamped Inland. Everything else seems to be fine and Correct. I am Changing the worn out Barrel. I did buy a nice 3-'45 Inland Barrel from my Collector Friend for 125.00 This one will Group a lot Better and since I'm never selling it that would be good for me when I take it for Target/Comp. Shooting.
Frank

Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 5:55pm
You want an L379 slide with the 7160091 number stamped on the bottom of the slide box. The carbine will eject empty cartridges better too.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2016 at 7:30pm

You want an L379 slide with the 7160091 number stamped on the bottom of the slide box. The carbine will eject empty cartridges better too.

YES...I definitely want one...Now its going to bother me that its not for my Carbine...I'm going to start to search for one. There should be some on GB or other auction sites. I'm sure I can find one...Hopefully !

I did have a extra Inland Slide, but this friend of mine needed it for his Inland project, so I donated it to him for his build. I forgot what type it was a can't remember if it had the part number on it. It was awhile back.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 9:03am

I was looking in Riesch's 7th Edition Book and this Slide looks just like the one he has as the Type 5 Slide with the curve from the arm to the Channel. The First one does not have a curve. Also where the Arm attaches to the Open Channel is identical is Riesch wrong ? In Harrison's book he has under early 1945 this same Slide as the one for the early Inland. So, I'm kinda Confused with your answer.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 10:21am
Frank, the curved arm is the same, what is different it the increased dwell. this delays the opening of the bolt for a fraction of a second letting more gas down the barrel.
It also helps reduce flash.
the number on bottom is believed to be an indicator that the slide has increased dwell and seen in your serial range. Some with out the number have increased dwell which is evident if you know what to look for. these would probably be earlier then yours also.

As to Reisch, good as a back pocket reference for a gun show. Some information is dated and the serial number ranges are no necessarily correct.
Somebody may be able to chime in better.

Harrison I have not read but suspect it is dated material.
again, someone may chime in with better info

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 5:48pm
I have seen some pretty late Inland M1 carbines with L-479 slides in them. I have been told and have always believed that Inland used M2 parts in their late M1 carbines like Winchester? I know I read something in one of the CCNL's about a late M1 with a L-479 slide, type VI trigger housing and I believe a type three sear, but could be off on that last point.

Remember, the easiest way to tell a L-379 slide with the increased dwell is to see if the pointed upper tip of the slide almost touches the back of the handguard. You won't even have to take the slide out to tell if it has it or not.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 7:53pm
Thanks for the Help guys, I really learned a little more about Slides today. Even though it has some same features of the one I need, there is a difference. I found a spot where I saw each Inland slide and did see the differences when I was comparing them. It helped by looking at them up close and from different angles than how they show them in All my books.

About the Parts...My Trigger Housing has that area cut out for the 9 looking Spring. Is that's what it's called. I never had M2 parts, but seen diagrams.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 8:03pm
Is the inland logo upside down?
some refer it to a 9 spring cut.
Late Winchesters you will also find M2 parts on.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 8:52pm
No the INLAND logo is Vertical and looks good. Not faded or worn.
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply