Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NPM Sear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NPM Sear
    Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 4:39pm
I have 3 NPM Sears that came to question with this other M1 Carbine Owner/Collector. I was going through all my books and forums to see if what we were discussing might have a conclusions. I saw in Riesch's Book that the early T1 Sear is marked (SWN) I also seen pictures of early NPM Carbines with that same mark and that distinctive discoloration. In my 4.25 it has (SW-N) Which is what I assume was a T2 and has that same discoloration.
I looked at it side by side with a Inland T2 with the hole and there Identical. I found and bought a NOS Sear marked SW-N with a the hole and it looks Black and Brand New and the marking looked fresh. I think the one I bought is a Fake. Besides me thinking it's a fake. Has anyone else seen this in a NPM Carbine or know about the different Sear markings on NPM Carbines ? TIA.

Frank
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 5:19pm
First, I would hope sears aren't being faked now! One can usually find the one they're looking for with little or no searching; however, there are definite exceptions to that statement!

Another thing, is that not all type one sears look the same, the same can be said for type twos also. Wear patterns, different manufacturing techniques and of course arsenal refinishing jobs can all cause things to look different.

If you could, pictures would help, Frank.

Edited by Why Carbines? - Jan 06 2016 at 5:23pm
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 5:51pm
I will post some pics. I put back the Sear that came with it that had the SW-N and that distinctive discoloration and took out that fake one with the hole. I did show it around here and our Pistol and Rifle Club with other Carbine owners and each one said it was fake. I will see if I still have those pics in my Gallery. But you can tell by looking at another T2 that is was the same. The wear pattern of the real Inland T2 matched up with the SW-N. I will go through and look for the pictures. Thanks for your Reply
Frank

crashtestnewbie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 7:37pm
Star watch abs case company, SW-N for NPM made with or without hole. It may be refinished or just finished differently. Pics certainly would help
Make everyday a good day
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 8:21pm
Okay....I tried to load several Pictures, but keep getting a error. I'm going to have to try to re-size the 4 or 5 pictures I want to post and then see if they will attach so y'all can see them. I got lucky though, I found a Sear in one of my parts bin that I didn't know I had. It is marked BN without the hole in the white and looks very similar to the SWN one. I need to get my friend to send me a picture of his Sear, the one that is marked SWN on his 1.52 mil NPM the one he took with me to the Pistol and Rifle Club. I thought I had it in my Gallery,but it's not there. I have 2 here marked SW-N one with the hole that looks Fake and the one in my '44 that is marked SW-N and looks like those 2 on Newmarketarms.com NPM's. There are 3 there one has a LN mark and in the white. The other 2 have that discoloration I'm talking about that you can see if you go there and look at the picture of there Sears cause they do have a distinctive look. I don't know if it's in the metal that cause them to look like that, but I will keep working on getting those pictures to fit.
Frank

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2016 at 9:10pm
see this post about uploading picture

if you still have a problem send them to me and I will upload them
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 3:33pm
I did looked through my Technical Manual TM9-1276 To 39A-5AD-2 and there is a different in the one I bought. I have that BN marked (Robert Bobbins Co.) Sear that I found in my Parts Bin. Lucky for me my SW-N marked (Star Watch Co.) Sear is still in good shape. As the other it does look different from the one in my TM's. I'm going to look for dates from the T1 to the T2 when they were made, then sent and used for a better reference. I downloaded Photobucket and going to try to use that. If not I will send them to Brass so he can post them for me. Thanks
Frank

Post Reply Post Reply