Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Carbine is in Banner?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Carbine is in Banner?
    Posted: Dec 31 2015 at 5:13pm
Something is just not quite right about the carbine on the top banner. I have seen it somewhere? Commercial? Well if its in a Museum it must be something.

Post your answer to see if you are correct.

Answer: Winchester Prototype #2 Adopted as the "Carbine Cal .30, M1"
So everyone can have some fun, Replied posts may be hidden for a while.

*EDIT* the picture in banner has changed. This thread was about Carbine now pictured in top of this post
crashtestnewbie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2015 at 5:39pm
prototype winchester
Make everyday a good day
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2015 at 9:59pm
I noticed the handguard right away, where it came from I have no clue. Sure would like to know where that hand guard came from. Chris
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 9:16am
Surely it's in one of the War Baby books but I'm too lazy to look it up, so I'll leave it for someone else. Just guessing it's an early concept version (maybe a 2nd generation concept?) with 20 round mag and borrowed Springfield 03 front sight.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 12:01pm
Finally got WB vol I a few weeks ago, and it's fresh in my mind after just reading those chapters. I believe it's the Winchester 2nd prototype with a 20rd mag.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 2:26pm
It looks like one of the original Winchester prototypes.
JackP
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 6:27pm
Winchester prototype
AirForceJon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirForceJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2016 at 8:56pm
Magazine looks awful long for a 15 rounder, and the front sight looks like it's from a 1903..one of the prototypes?
USAF 1989-2012
295 Missions under Montana, and more trips to Korea and the Middle East than I care to remember.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 9:11am
I don't think it is U.S. G.I. The front sight is wrong and so is the barrel band. I'd say the barrel is a cut down 1903 barrel. The band has the screw head on the wrong side and I can't make out any rivets on the hand guard.
I'm still digging.
J.R.

FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 10:18am
Originally posted by AirForceJon AirForceJon wrote:

Magazine looks awful long for a 15 rounder, and the front sight looks like it's from a 1903..one of the prototypes?

I thought the same thing about the mag. Maybe it was not locked in and was falling out when the pic was snapped. The front sight is  from a 1903, pretty sure. Some of the many companies, back in the late 50's and 60's, were using a G.I. carbine receiver and some G.I. parts but using surplus G.I. 30-06 barrels, cut and threaded to fit the carbine receivers.
It is a strange looking carbine.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
Louis Losi View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Losi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 10:31am
ORDNANCE FIELD SERVICE-TECHNICAL BULLETIN NO. 23-7-1-CARBINE, CAL. .30, M1-MARCH 17, 1942, pictures, on page 3, an M1 carbine with a high wood "I" butt stock and a hand guard that is the same as found on the Cody Firearms Museum M1 carbine. So the Cody Firearms Museum and TB 23-7-1 hand guards are either pre-production or extremely early production.  
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 5:50pm
It is actually the 2nd prototype Winchester with a 20 round mag. Didn't do too well in the test firing. But that is another story.
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
J.R.2009 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R.2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2016 at 2:47pm
Uummm? I guess I must have been too far off to get the okay from the mod on my guess.Cry
J.R.

Gun Owners of SC

GCA
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2016 at 3:40pm
that is a 20 round magazine that never made production
sf-1954 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf-1954 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 4:42pm
It appears to match Winchester's seconds proto type (cheated- looked in WB page 32)
SF
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 6:56pm
Answers to be revealed soon!
If you did not post your answer get it in soon!
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Skeeter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 7:31pm
I think this is the original carbine that Winchester submitted for testing at the ordinance trials around 1940.
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 9:29pm
No idea, but I want a bunch of these magazines :)
Scott C. View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2016 at 9:49pm
is it a Crossman BB gun?
Charlie699 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie699 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2016 at 7:28am
I'll play,,, Prototype Winchester Trial "light Rifle".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>