Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lend Lease Carbines to Canada

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lend Lease Carbines to Canada
    Posted: Dec 21 2015 at 9:09pm
January 2016-D
Lend Lease Carbines to Canada

U.S. LEND-LEASE EXPORTS TO CANADA, 1945

Thanks to Don Hillhouse for locating the linked above document, showing 3500 M1 Carbines and over 1
million rounds of ammo sent to Canada in 1945. The report for 1942 combines small arms, so the
number of carbines cannot be determined. The 1943 and 1944 reports have not yet been located. Lend-
Lease ended in August 1945. See Newsletters 349 and 381 for more information on carbines to Canada.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 12:38pm
We have seen very few Canadian returns. Anyone have one they would like to share pictures of?
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 8:06pm
Check my math, but that means that those carbines were $31 each and the rounds were about $.025 each. Times have sure changed!
Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 8:15pm
Was there ever a time when we could buy Canadian arms?

Whoa, 2 Thompson's!
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2016 at 8:31pm
Bren guns were made in Canada. Might be a little pricy today though.
Dave
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2016 at 2:30pm
Wow! This is quite a document find. Ruth indicates in his original book that more that 200 M1 carbines were sent to Canada. I am aware of 3 or 4 INLANDs that probably arrived in late '42 or early '43. They stayed here, and were probably used for training purposes. The ones I know appear to be originals with the Canadian Broad arrow mark on the receiver and stock.

This recent doc indicates a larger number, (+ M1 Garands) and large quantity of 30 carbine ammo came in 1945. One can only speculate as what this was all about.

Cdn forces did not officially use carbines or Garands, but a few were used in-theatre. Cdn forces in the Korean conflict had them, mostly M2's, but again issued to units over there. Our logistic system was based on .303 and 9 mm ammo, so introduction of another calibre of firearm would have led to supply problems.

Maybe these were shipped here as a build up to Cdn forces going to the Pacific post VE day? Canadians were operating in the Pacific/Asian theatre in 1944-45 as Force 136, and used M1 carbines, but were again issued these over there, probably out of British lend-lease stores in India.

A number of M2's (I've seen only 7 mil S/N INLANDs) have been circulating in this country for years, with inner parts removed except for the disconnect lever. These might be part of this group, and disposed of locally by Crown Assets as surplus, or shipped back to USA.

Thanks to Don for finding this document.

Ted in Victoria, BC

welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2016 at 10:38am
I like how they call the garand--note is the John Garand-never seen that way on inventory sheet
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2016 at 11:14am
A Canadian M1 Carbine Data Sheet exists, which I thought I had in my collection, but I can't find it. It is referenced by Ruth on page 675. Does anyone else have this document? I will continue to search...

I do have similar Canadian data sheets for the Thompson, Reising, and Sten Submachine Guns.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply