Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flip sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flip sight
    Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 12:11pm
I removed my adjustable rear sight from my 6 digit and put back on a flipper... 

Is it me or does it just seem like the leaf of the sights are backwards?   I just feel like the recessed side of the peep should be towards the shooter to draw your eye to the center and not the flat side.   Just one of my OCD feelings like its just not right.  lol 

All went well, no staking to contend with.  Got assembly pretty well centered.  Now to bench it and see where its sending them.  Gee it sure would be a shame if I got it perfect so I wouldn't have to pull the action out again and push the sight left or right.    
Fortune Favors the Foolish
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 1:09pm
Physically (from the pov of optics) it doesn't matter. The dished out region is there solely to make the aperture thinner so light isn't lost. It should face away from the shooter. Why, I don't know. I think the reason may be based on psychomotor factors. When split seconds matter, sight acquisition may be faster, having less clutter & confusion when seeking the hole if the dish is hidden from view.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 9:47pm
Yep, agree. Flat side towards the shooter. Even checked a few of my AR's since none of my carbines have flip sights. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2017 at 6:51am
I looked at a couple and they had the flat side towards the shooter as mentioned above.

Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

When split seconds matter, sight acquisition may be faster, having less clutter & confusion when seeking the hole if the dish is hidden from view.
I have a couple rear sights that were V-notched.  Suspect that was to support the aforementioned quicker target acquisition, i.e. provided a larger unobstructed field of view.  
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2017 at 7:50am
Have seen that mod on a few carbines that looked like they came back from Europe. Wonder if that was something the Germans or Austrians liked to do?

Also think there as a GI sight alignment tool.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 2:35pm
About which side faces the user:  It's probably because the concave side has more opportunity to collect grease, dust, dirt, etc. and even when clean has a more visible "dished" surface.  Tends to draw the eye to it.  The flat side is blank with no texture so your eye doesn't focus on the sight but through the aperture.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 3:46pm
Pointing the concave side point downrange also provides a slightly longer sight radius which enhances accuracy :snicker:
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Pointing the concave side point downrange also provides a slightly longer sight radius which enhances accuracy :snicker:

Yes that extra millimeter could be critical to a good shot.  ;)

update: my AR has a rear bui flip dished out one side opposite the other.  Go figure.  Whatever is easier for manufacturing is probably the answer to why one side faces one way or the other.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2017 at 8:58pm
think of how close it is to your eye, if not tapered it would be like looking through a small tube and possibly cause aberrations. By counter sinking other side it thins out the tube. also it lets more light through..

Hard to explain but look how the diagram below works, the pinhole being the sight
Image result for how a pinhole camera works diagram
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 12:44am
A pinhole camera works because the light bouncing off the subject enters the pinhole and is projected upside down on the opposite wall.  Called the camera obscura effect.  Peep sights work because our eyes have a built in capacity to find the center of a circle.  Looking through a peep sight improves your eye's ability to see the front sight in relation to the target.  Your focus sharpens when you look through a narrow gap or pinhole and your field of view becomes longer.  You can focus on the front post and target simultaneously.  Parallax shift is eliminated.  Big plus is you don't have to align 3 points: rear sight, front sight, and target.  Aperture sights only require aligning front post and target.  Front/rear sight alignment is not an issue since it is automatic.  I love that part. 

About your illustration: There are some historians who think that many/some of the master artists used the pinhole camera effect to create their masterpieces.  The essentially built a big box facing the subject with a pinhole in the wall. Inside the box an upside down image of the subject is projected on the opposite wall onto a canvas.  Like Vermeer for example.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 1:26am
Check these out: 

and a homemade version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a20stHk6k

I'm going to try making one from static cling plastic to stick on my shooting glasses.
 Post Reply Post Reply