Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting a barrel to the Erma EM-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OneBigElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting a barrel to the Erma EM-1
    Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 9:05pm
Has anyone ever replaced a barrel on one of these rifles?

I ordered a barrel from Sarco- It arrived looking like the UPS driver had beaten a telephone pole with it.  Sarco is sending a replacement.

I looked at fitting it to my receiver, and the 2 pins that lock the barrel to the trunnion fit less than 1/2 way into place on the new barrel.  They go in almost all the way on the old one and then tap the rest of the way in with modest resistance.

It appears that the notches in the barrel that the pins go in are too shallow on the new barrel.

Is this normal and if so, how do you fit the barrel?  I'm guessing that the barrel is far harder than the receiver and that trying to drill the holes through the receiver is a sure path to ruining the rifle.

So.... ????  Is this a gunsmith only job?

Thanks,
John
John
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 9:25pm
Don't know anyone who has bought an EM1 barrel from Sarco. I haven't had a need to replace a barrel. I've only removed them and reinstalled them.

Sometimes Sarco and Numrich buy leftovers from various companies that go out of business without having someone check to see if they were rejects and/or safe to sell.

I think Glen in Stuart may have an extra barrel.

Jim
Glen in Fla View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen in Fla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2018 at 12:38pm
Hi all!
I got a barrel from SARCO a few weeks ago, it was a bit rough looking but cleaned up OK.
The barrel retaining pin holes were OK but the front sight pin groove was too shallow, and it wasn't indexed correctly, a small round file took care of that.

Glen in Fla
 Post Reply Post Reply