Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time M1 Carbine purchaser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time M1 Carbine purchaser
    Posted: Nov 20 2017 at 10:00pm
Hello,
Over the last few weeks I have had a fun time researching the M1 Carbine after a local gun show. It is quite interesting in how the guns were assembled and components shared by the various manufacturers. I have come across two potential purchases. The one is a Quality Hardware 187xxxx with an underwood barrel 8-43, Type 3 Rear sight, flip safety and bayonet lug. The question I have regards a stock with a combination of an I-cut Type I and a low wood stock Type III. I seem to recall that one manufacturer (maybe Inland?) kept making the I-cut throughout their production of stocks even after the others stopped? Or the potential that the high wood stock may have been cut/sanded down to a low cut during a refurbishment?? 
Thank you in advance for any thoughts.Big smile

Edit: This is what the rear of the stock looks like but the rifle also has the low wood Type III.  

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 5:35am
Hello and welcome to the forum.  If you haven't done so already, click on the night-scoped carbine at the top of the page and it will take you to the reference The U.S. Carbine Caliber .30 site.  Go to the Parts tab and there is discussion on the various stocks.  From what I've learned Isuspect yours is a Type I with the high wood removed which is not uncommon.  What MFG made your stock?  Also post a pic of the low wood area and some of the knowledgeable guys on the forum may see something to help answer your questions.  Lots of great folks here for sure.

Regards
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 9:42pm
The stock is a type 1. Originally a high wood. A great many type 1 and 2 stocks had the high wood cut down either in the field or durring rebuild.

The material was quite thin and prone to cracking.

Rockola type 1 stocks have been observed later in production.

It may be due to having them made and stored or due to them having a machine still doing the process.

One interesting one was on a late IBM with RMC-B in slingwell
Kubota View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kubota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 11:08pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been looking at the reference links for the parts/components and there is a lot of great info there. It seems that the Type I I-cut was no longer being made during the July/August 1943 rifle assembly period based on the serial number. If this is the one that ends up being offered to me for purchase I will get more information regarding the manufacturers.
 Post Reply Post Reply